Where do you get your acrylic discs cut / made / etc?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

JohnnyF

Where do you get your acrylic discs cut / made / etc?

Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:28 pm

Hi All,

So … where do you get your acrylic discs at? Are you using an online supplier, or someone local? Are you just cutting acrylic discs out of sheet at home?

I've been researching online suppliers, but they all seem to be about the same … which is I contact them for a quote on 50 12 inch pieces, and then I never hear back.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

petermontg

Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:37 pm

Try ordering more units.

Most suppliers will only do orders with a couple hundered units.

If you still don't get word back just pick up the phone a call can get things moving quicker than an email.
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271
peter(at)petermontgomerymastering.com

Stereo cutter head wanted. Send email or smoke signals.

piaptk

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:48 pm

You will save a lot of money finding someone close by. There is a plastic company in pretty much every major city I'd imagine. There are like 10 within 50 miles of me. That stuff is expensive to ship. I generally go to local shops and dig through their scrap bin for a buck or two a pound. If you want it professionally cut into circles, you will have to pay a pretty penny for it... CNC and laser routers don't run cheap. I think Tommi was paying $6-7ish for an LP, where as a 12x12 square would only be about half that.

JohnnyF

Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:24 am

piaptk wrote:You will save a lot of money finding someone close by. There is a plastic company in pretty much every major city I'd imagine. There are like 10 within 50 miles of me. That stuff is expensive to ship. I generally go to local shops and dig through their scrap bin for a buck or two a pound. If you want it professionally cut into circles, you will have to pay a pretty penny for it... CNC and laser routers don't run cheap. I think Tommi was paying $6-7ish for an LP, where as a 12x12 square would only be about half that.

Thats what I figured, and I am in NYC, so I should be able to find a place locally. I just thought maybe there were places people here were working with and things would go a bit more smoothly as they'd know what I was looking for.

opcode66

Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:50 pm

All the places I ever spoke with about Makrolon (polycarbonate) wanted me to submit a CAD design before they would give me a quote. The CAD design would represent one sheet of the plastic. So, I needed one CAD design for each diameter 7, 10 and 12. The designs would be 3 dimensional and would match the exact dimensions of a sheet of raw plastic. The designs have circle cuts for the discs as well as the center holes. Though I do believe the center holes are punched out and not cut out.

The designs can be fed into a CNC machine and a total cut time can then be determined. Without the cut time estimate, there is no way for a plastics distro to be able to say how much X number of discs would cost. So, if you want an estimate you will likely have to do what I did and get some CAD designs made.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

petermontg

Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:21 pm

can you post CAD design if you still have it

be great to have it.
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271
peter(at)petermontgomerymastering.com

Stereo cutter head wanted. Send email or smoke signals.

carter

Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:10 pm

Johnny,

Did you find a place? I'm in NYC too and have been frustrated in this quest.

--Carter

opcode66

Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:11 pm

This person just posted the availability of discs through them. Prices seemed ok.

https://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?t=2788&mforum=lathetrolls
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

carter

Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:16 pm

Great, thanks for drawing this to our attention!