AES Disk Recording Vol 1 Anthology back in print!!!

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

cohearent

AES Disk Recording Vol 1 Anthology back in print!!!

Mon May 16, 2011 12:08 am

Hi All,

Just wanted to let all my fellow trolls know that the AES Disk Anthologies are back in print. If you don't already have one, you should! It is the most complete work on the subject available. A few months ago I loaned my copy to a fellow troll and he decided he wanted to get one. It was out of print, and had been for some time. Nobody is interested in phonograph records anymore, don't you know?
After several emails and phone calls to the AES I reached Donna Vivero there. Bless her heart, she said she would see what she could do. About a week ago she e-mailed me excitedly and said "OK I's available, spread the word!" I told her if she made them available again, I would, so that's what I'm doing here...
They run $30 for members and $40 for non. Believe me it is money well spent. There are 2 volumes. Vol 2 is good too, but Vol 1 is the "must have".
Here's the link: http://www.aes.org/publications/anthologies/ If you aren't sold by my description you can scan the contents section of the books there.
Get 'em while you can. Once they're gone it could be quite a while before they are available again. (If ever)

Best,

Kev
Kevin Gray

blacknwhite

Mon May 16, 2011 1:00 am

Great to hear it's in print (& thanks for making that call Kevin). Totally agree with your assesment of both volumes (ended up going back later & getting volume 2 also).

2008 review from when I bought the Volume 1 book, w/ excerpts & pics:
https://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?t=796.html

- Bob

JayDC

Mon May 16, 2011 3:40 am

great!!!...
generally its for reproduction.. but i like to play wif it sometimes.. :P

maniman

Mon May 16, 2011 4:41 am

Absolutely great , I bought last days of the past August and the books cover was rather deteriorated , maybe buy other one to save , and the old for use.

Nice news , Regards.
Very Busy days , some cutting works at least , soon online again

We must promote the use and abuse of vinyl records.

Serif

Mon May 16, 2011 7:36 am

Just downloaded the Moura and Narma chapters last night... But had to order both bound volumes to complete the set. Thanks for asking for this, Kevin.

Andrew

KeeLeh21

Sat May 21, 2011 9:58 am

Its already out of stock, good thing i ordered mine on the 14th

JayDC

Sat May 21, 2011 3:22 pm

do you think they have this at a public library? I really need to read this book..
generally its for reproduction.. but i like to play wif it sometimes.. :P

maniman

Sat May 21, 2011 5:19 pm

do you think they have this at a public library? I really need to read this book..
Maybe in audio engineering school / university , with a quick google search , found a list of sound engineering schools in the Penn state.

http://www.aes.org/education/directory/region.cfm?GeoID=1

United States - Pennsylvania

Lebanon Valley College of Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences
Art Institute of Philadelphia
Drexel University
Future Media Concepts - Philadelphia
Penn State University Graduate Program in Acoustics

if some of these are public... , why not ? , but guess are the type of book that you can't take to home , but if the book is in a public university library sure you can go to read it at the same library.

If have the megazilion luck of have one near home.

Good Luck.
Very Busy days , some cutting works at least , soon online again

We must promote the use and abuse of vinyl records.

KeeLeh21

Fri May 27, 2011 1:16 pm

Just got mine in the mail today, I hope i understand at least some of it :shock: Wish me luck!

KeeLeh21

Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Well guys i have been reading this for almost a week now, and let me tell you...no...ill just let the picture explain

opcode66

Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:21 pm

LOL, don't stress. It will become more clear after a few re-reads.

And, in the meantime, ask questions!
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

KeeLeh21

Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:49 pm

opcode66 wrote:LOL, don't stress. It will become more clear after a few re-reads.

And, in the meantime, ask questions!
ha thanks its just the math that is killing me! but as far as terms go im ok.

Serif

Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:13 pm

Hilarious picture, KeeLeh21. Just started into both Anthologies, here.

I recommend that you focus on the chapters that interest you the most, first. Even study the pictures and subtext for a while. No need to get bogged down in the maths - that's what the AES Fellows are for. There won't be a test. (: Just test cuts, right?

There appears to be a fair amount of calculus and the always-interesting appearance of the irrational numbers, pi and the square root of 2. The latter appearing in the relationship between the effective radius of the recorded wavelength and the peak-to-peak groove displacement. r/√2 and √2/r !

Why is the irrational interesting? Because it is a never-ending value. This is why analog rules, iuam. It still uses the line (in the form of a spiral) and, therefore, describes infinity with analogous perfection, whilst digital always falls short, due to the imprecision of numbers. How can this fail to be telegraphed to the listener? (rhetorically posed, only)

I say just enjoy the information and glean the basics of the presentations. That's all I'm-a-do.

Peace,
Andrew

KeeLeh21

Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:20 pm

can anyone explain to me what cps is? ex: 4000 cps, 500 cps. and one more thing what is RIAA recording equalization?

Serif

Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:04 am

CPS stands for Charles P. Sheen. However, in the context you cite, it apparently is standing for "cycles per second," which is also known as "Hertz," as in 1 kilohertz, as in that Hamburgler Heinrich Rudolf Hertz' International Scientific Unit of musical relevance. *\

As for the RIAA (are eye double-Ayy), it is a sound disk equalization emphasis standard that you have been using, most likely, even without realizing it(?). Lurking unheralded within the bowels of your receiver's phono inputs is a network that de-emphasizes the pre-emphasized signal from the disk so that it can be amplified with the master tape's flat response. It is how the microgroove records you play are properly re-equalized, since they have the bass cut out of the program, and the highs emphasized, during cutting of the lacquer disk (so this inverse eq has to take place on playback or else the pre-emphasized record will screech and not be what the mix sounded like).

Why even do this? Because a cutterhead is a velocity transducer, it can't help but give lower cycles-per-second greater groove displacement than it gives in response to higher c's per s, in spite of the input voltages being identical for each frequency (flat input doesn't cut flat). We don't want bass notes to have a very big groove and highs to have a very little one, since we want all these signals to be comingling and also want maximum program duration potential and, also, of course, want to minimize surface noise. So, without the pre-emphasis ("pre-emphasis" sounds redundant, eh?), 8k would have a groove wiggle that is twice as small as that of 4k... which would, in turn, be twice as small as that of 2k... etc... Skewing the balance of the complex input waveform to the treble end of the spectrum evens out the sizes of the cut wiggles of the different frequencies on disk to some degree. However, it would take too much make-up gain to impose a 6 dB/octave boost from 20 - 20k cps. So, having a plateau in the midrange is the compromise. Everyone loves a three-way, right? (;

The three cycle times "cornered" by this standard, are 3,180, 318.0, and 75 microseconds, which is the same as 50.5, 500.5, and 2123.1 cycles per second. Get ready for a slice of irrational pi:

F =

___1___
2*pi*T.

For reference, light takes about one second to travel from the Moon to the Earth. One micro-second is one millionth, or, if you prefer, one milliardth, of a second. (;

...Now for the "B" side:

From Volume 2 of the AES Disk Recording Anthology, "...it is obvious that, the greater the pre-emphasis used in cutting a record, the greater will be the maximum slope of the recorded groove and the more difficult it will be for a pickup stylus to track. Further, the frequency response beyond the audio range has been shown to have an effect proportional to the pre-emphasis used on the maximum slope of the groove shape. This is particularly serious when one considers that the recording characteristics published as standards do not extend beyond the audio range. This deficiency in the standards (RIAA is but one) makes the use of pre-emphasis highly questionable. (!)"
"...The basic reason for using pre-emphasis is to improve the signal-to-noise ratio. With the advent of hot stylus recording and variable pitch or margin control, it hardly seems necessary to increase the signal-to-noise ratio (!). In fact, tape hiss has already become a limitation to further improvement."

Speaking of tape, you should be well aware that analog tape recording also relies on pre-emphasis and de-emphasis. NAB, AES, CCIR, and Ampex Master Equalization, are among the popular.

-Stylus Wigglesworth

ArchaicRecords

Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:04 pm

Is there any chance this first volume of Disk Recording will be available again? Anytime soon?
archaicrecords.com

cohearent

Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:59 pm

I suggest you contact Donna Vivero at AES. Tell her you are a Lathe Troll and that you heard about it from Kevin Gray who posted it on the LT forum. (As I promised) Maybe we will get a little clout and respect here! :D
Kevin Gray

KeeLeh21

Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:30 pm

Chris

Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:44 am

cohearent wrote:I suggest you contact Donna Vivero at AES. Tell her you are a Lathe Troll and that you heard about it from Kevin Gray who posted it on the LT forum. (As I promised) Maybe we will get a little clout and respect here! :D
Do you have an email addy for her you could pm me? Had no luck getting even a response from the normal contact form.....

Would be very much appreciated :)

monkey1553

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:06 pm

Chris,

Hopefully she doesn't mind it being posted here. It's:dmv&aes.org. Replace the & with @.

-Michael