Just got 'Dubplatecutter' Vinylium. Any tips ?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

bumbinstien

Just got 'Dubplatecutter' Vinylium. Any tips ?

Sat May 14, 2011 2:32 am

Hi
Dubplatecutter in my possession and I need tips on how to set this up. Iv'e been trolling and havn't come across a thread on.

How to add a vacuum to the head. Specifically where to mount a hose and how.

How can I get the most out of this thing? What should I add to it to get the best quality possible ?

I have the pdf manual.

I have technics SL1200mk2 and a recording studio. Will be gettin an sp10 or equivalent in the next months along with whatever else is needed.

Im in San Francisco. Have watched George at Fantasy Berkeley cut masters for me a few times. Im stoked to be let in to this secret society and am excited to learn this art!

andybee

Sun May 15, 2011 9:40 am

first, read the manual (!!!!!!!!!) and try to cut some test, to get
a feeling for it... don´t use material with too much trebles in
the beginning, maybe a sweet jazz tune is fine :)
if you start cutting louder, you will see the problems.
try to use deessers, treble limiters etc. to get out lout cuts....
for the chip suction, I startet with a copper tube, that was mounted
at the headmount, and sucked the chip from the front of the head...
or watch an pro-lathe to get an idea of the tubes, diameters etc.
have fun!
8)

Aussie0zborn

Sun May 15, 2011 6:32 pm

Welcome. Yes, first thing is to read the instruction manual. Love the drum mahcine in your pic - nice kick drum sound but that snare sound sucks.

bumbinstien

Sun May 15, 2011 8:04 pm

Thanks i will read it a few more times before cutting.

Just did the mods on that analog drum toy here it is triggered by my 505 all drums from the Synsonics. Yea the snare is ok after adding a decay knob mod but still had noise. i use it with a gate.

http://youtu.be/x2vPLCrO4i0
d

carter

Mon May 16, 2011 2:32 pm

Hey there - I got up and running with a Kingston last fall, so I'm relatively new to this and can share some experiences.

The advice on running your signal through a de-esser is great. You have to do that if you want to get anywhere near the signal level of a pro-cut.

I also recommend using some duct tape (or something) to make sure your acetates don't slip during a cut, and be very aware of trying to get the path of the head perfectly parallel to the surface of the plate across the entire path of the cut. I initially had a lot of problems with cuts of non-uniform depth, which sometimes resulted in the signal only being cut over part of the rotation. to make sure the path is parallel, manually lower the head (with the screw) until it just touches the plate at the outer edge, then raise it with the lever and bring it over to the inside and make sure it also just touches down there - if not, it's not going to cut evenly.

I also recommend the simple modification of the 1200 to increase torque. my first cuts without the modification dragged the turntable off speed, but the modification solved that. This is even more crucial with plastics than with acetate, but relevant to both.

I still haven't solved the vacuum suction issue - i just do it manually with my vacuum cleaner and a steady hand. If you do this, be careful not to touch the plate with the vacuum cleaner head or it can affect rotation. There isn't a lot of space under the head to install a tube of any diameter - if someone is recommending copper i'd love to know more about the diameter and proximity to the diamond. I hate holding the vacuum cleaner during longer cuts.

I think you'll be really happy with the unit once you get the hang of it. I had a lot of frustrations but the payoff is enormous and the quality is really stunning for a "consumer-grade" piece of electronics.

somewhere else on the forum flo recommended to me a good setting for the groove width, which I wouldn't have figured out by myself.

good luck and p.m. me as needed.

carter

Tue May 17, 2011 11:40 am

Flo recommended a land setting of 20-30 micrometers and groove width of 60-70 micrometers.

philbrown

Re: Just got 'Dubplatecutter' Vinylium. Any tips ?

Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:07 pm

bumbinstien wrote:Hi
Dubplatecutter in my possession and I need tips on how to set this up. Iv'e been trolling and havn't come across a thread on.

How to add a vacuum to the head. Specifically where to mount a hose and how.

How can I get the most out of this thing? What should I add to it to get the best quality possible ?

I have the pdf manual.

I have technics SL1200mk2 and a recording studio. Will be gettin an sp10 or equivalent in the next months along with whatever else is needed.

Im in San Francisco. Have watched George at Fantasy Berkeley cut masters for me a few times. Im stoked to be let in to this secret society and am excited to learn this art!
Watching George, hun? I worked for him for 5 years. Inreresting guy.
Phil Brown