diy cutterhead - is it possible? anyone tried?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

is it feasible to try make your own cutterhead?

yes
88%
no
13%

Total votes: 8

johannesgj

diy cutterhead - is it possible? anyone tried?

Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:37 am

i am going to make my own lathe ground up together with a team of engineers in denmark.
we ask if anyone have tried the making of the cutterhead, because the rest is doable right now. the cutterhead however is making trouble.

how is the needle placed in the cutterhead.
how is the needle connected to the two drives
what is holding the needle? are there springs or what?

kind regards
johannes gårdsted jørgensen

markrob

Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:50 am

Hi,

Are you doing this to create a product that will be made available for sale? Why a team of engineers? If you have acess to this much brain power, surely you can do the reasearch on your own. You don't need us to give you all of the details. You poll asks if it can be done. The answer is yes. I've made a decent attempt. I'm still working on improving my design. When I finally get it to a good point, I'll share any and all details for others who want to tinker as a hobby, but I don't want to see it used for a commercial product. Consider it open source hardware.

Mark

johannesgj

Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:02 pm

just to make this clear.
we are first year students, we are besides studying developing open-source software in most of our sparetime. which is freely accessible to anyone.
being elektro engineer dosen't meen i will or we will have automatic knowledge of the mechanical skills needed for the understanding of the needlework and fine mechanics.

so the reason i ask questions is because i need answers. not because i am lazy or something. i have been making research on this subject on and off for a year, but haven't until now had any time to get into it practically.

if you have knowledge of this kind of project, and i mean deleopment of a diy cutterhead please share even though your project might not be finished or even working only together people can learn.

i used to put all my knowledge up on a google notebook which is public, but now i got a blog which i'll use for that matter.
check here
http://antima55.blogspot.com

with hopes of future mutual knowledge sharing.
kind regards
johannes gårdsted jørgensen and others

markrob

Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:55 pm

Hi,

Here is a link to my crude web site with some pictures of my head and lathe. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Make sure to look at the photos (If you click on them, you will see higher res versions).

http://home.comcast.net/~markrob1066/site/

Mark

fusionkid

To Johannesgj

Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:31 pm

Yes it is totally possible to design and build a cutterhead, it's not complicated and it's all been done before. It is basically 2 voice coil motors (with feedback coils) coupled together by use of a tool (stylus) holder that is sprung so that the stylus returns to its resting point. Neumann used BeCu springs, mounted at the opposite end to the stylus, the axes of which match the motors' in this case springs are flat not coiled.
Research "voice coil motors" and "loudspeaker design" these are the same device in different applications all the maths required is covered by these two applications, many voice coil motors have feedback coils, so there are many documented designs on the web. You will need good engineering facilities like a lathe, mill, coil winding machine, measuring eqpt. Start point for design will probably need to be with the magnets, unless you are designing/making your own magnets, you need to find suitable magnets and design around them.

johannesgj

thanks so much for the reply!

Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:29 am

this knowledge gives me a fast step forward!
is it ok if i quote you on my website. i try to make a project site around the idea, just to make it easier for others to do this as well.
will write back soon!
thanks again
- johannes
btw. my website is at
http://antima55.blogspot.com

markrob

Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:29 am

Hi,

I would highly recommend the paper:

"Methods of High Quality Recording and Reproducing of Music and Speech Based on Telephone Research" by Maxfield, J.P. and H.C. Harrison Am. Inst. Electr. Eng Trans. 45:334-346

This was published in 1926 and is one of the first papers to detail the math required for cutterhead design. It will give you a good basis to start even though the head is a moving iron type, mono, and low-fi by today's standards. Hopefully, you can find it in your school library.

For design info on more modern moving coil type heads see:

"Lateral Feedback Disc Recorder" by G.R. Yenzer Audio Eng. 33:22-27 (1949)

This describes the first Westex mono head.

If you did not find it on my web site, see the description of the Sugden stereo head. Also there is a great technical description of the BBC Grampian head.

Finally, be sure to chech out this site for downloadable technical textbooks:

http://www.pmillett.com/technical_books_online.htm

In particular, see the Oliver Read book and the Radiotron Designer's Handbook.

Hope this is of help.

Mark

johannesgj

Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:37 am

this is big help!
i didnt know there was books on the subject i thought it was painfully outdated, methods in books from 1920s and unwards are probably describing the tech stuff in such detail that i can get into more than just a novice state.

thanks

bancho

Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:58 pm

hm funny.... I was just a medical student and I could find anything you're asking just by checking this forum. :roll: I know it's quite extensive forum but you can find practically everything here. If you prefer the paper I recommend DISK RECORDING VOL.1 & 2 edited by Stephen F. Temmer published at AES.
here is the link where you can also order these books (it's actually the collection of articles so you can follow the evolution of disc recording): http://www.aes.org/publications/anthologies
the only problem there is - you have to have a lot of time to check all the threads you need. good luck!

monomer

Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:53 pm

https://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?t=796&mforum=lathetrolls

I think it's exactly what your looking for.

RVonse

IT NEVER PAYS TO BE A PIONEER

Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:32 pm

Generally anything can be built given the motivations. But should you?

I would say building a head would only make sense if you are going for a nice feedback design and had exact specifications for everything in detail (practically impossible). Otherwise, you may be building something experiemental that may not even work. Research and developement is very very expensive. It is today and it was back when most of these old heads were engineered.

As for building a lessor head in the Presto league, I would not even waste the effort. You can buy one much cheaper IMO.

RVonse

Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:03 pm

markrob wrote:Hi,

Here is a link to my crude web site with some pictures of my head and lathe. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Make sure to look at the photos (If you click on them, you will see higher res versions).

http://home.comcast.net/~markrob1066/site/

Mark
Does your lathe produce good results?

markrob

Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:05 pm

Hi RVonse,

I agree R&D can be expensive if your trying to build a commercial product. In my case its a hobby, so R&D is just about free. I have spent some money on textbooks, tech papers, and raw material. But I don't have that much actual cash invested. IIRC, I built the head over the course of a week or so working when I had time in the evenings. I had a basic idea of what I wanted to do. But it was really ad-libbed on the fly. I spent a fair amout of time making test cuts, measuring perfomance, and coming up with an EQ curve to flatten the response.

I have no illusions of creating the next SX74, but I think with some work, I can get the performance to a decent level. Look at what Vinylium and the folks at Vinylrecorder have done. I doubt they spent tons of Euro's to get the design together.

Its been awhile since I cut with the DIY head and lathe (I've since been playing with my 6N lathe, Grampian and Presto heads). But, I did get pretty decent results before I stopped. I have to look back through the stack of test cuts I made with the head and see if I can post an example. I got the best results doing half speed cutting. At the time, I was cutting using my home made stylii. I'm sure I'll get better results with a Transco stylus.

I've recently started to revisit the design and I want to mount it on my 6N. Its not so easy, since there is not much room to work with and I don't want to make major changes to the mechanics of the lathe. Based on what I've learned over the last year or so, I think a second pass will yield some nice improvments. My goal is to post some plans if I get something worthy.

I don't agree that feedback is a requirement for a good head design. I'm interested in it for the technical challange. Its hard to close the loop over the full audio range without having stability problems. In fact, the open loop design needs to be free of bad secondary resonances or it will be a mess to deal with.

Mark

fusionkid

YES EVERYONE SHOULD MAKE AN CUTTING HEAD

Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:35 pm

Should you make a cutting head???
Yes definitely, i think any enthusiast interested in this technology, should take inspiration from the work already shown on this forum, and take designs further. If you want hands on experience with cutting records and associated eqpt - unless you've got lots of £$£$ to spend or lucky enough to get a rare job in this trade - it's not going to happen, unless of course you build your own equipment! If you look at engineering hobby forums and sites, the hobby has got to a point where surprisingly complex and effective projects are being successfully being constructed at home by enthusiasts. The same thing needs to happen with disk cutting, but it needs people to take part in constructing eqpt, finding usefull off the shelf bits and pieces, working out ways of problem solving etc etc
So if you're thinking about doing this please do it and let us know how it goes.

Rog