Some advice regarding Vinyl dub cutters

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Paul Mac

Some advice regarding Vinyl dub cutters

Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:01 pm

Hi all first post here so please be gentle :D

I'm thinking of treating myself to a vinyl dub cutter in the near future and have narrowed things unsurprisingly down to the Kingston and Vinylrecorder.

Now I was hoping for a little advice about them both to start with I have had a few test cuts done with the Vinylrecorder and I'm really quite happy with the results my main concern with that machine really seems to be that Souri doesn't support anyone who isn't an original owner of said machine basically making it's 2nd hand worth pretty well nothing. Is this really the case or is that mostly just typical internet bullshit ? I'm looking to buy a new one so it isn't really relevant to being with of course but I realise cutting vinyl just might not be for me once I get started so don't won't to get lumbered with something I can't shift.

My question regarding the Kingston is basically about getting hold of extra diamond Styluses and vinyl blanks. Do Vinylium supply those or are they available elsewhere ? I'm also looking for someone who cuts with one of these for a business so I could get a test done to compare to the vinylrecorder ones I have had cut in the past. So if your in that market please hit me via Pm :)

Thanks for your time.

Aussie0zborn

Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:21 am

You should ask Vinylium to supply you with a sample disc cut from your tape. If they value your business I'm sure they will do it. See the forum topic on the Vinylrecorder - many owners are actualy happy (more than you would think after what you read on the internet) but there is no reason for any owners of the machine to be denied after-sales service and especially to be denied a supply of blank discs - whatever the reason! Throw in a bad attitude and you need not think too hard about it!

Vinylium seem to have a good reputation with the only complaint being that they are not very fast to respond to email enquiries. I imagine they get a lot of emails from people wanting a 52x vinyl-burner that they can slot into their PC so their INBOX maight take a while to get through.

If you weigh it up, Vinylium are better qualified when it comes to making cutterheads and drive electronics and their record of achievements in this area alone is good enough reason to place them at the top of your list.

flozki

Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:38 am

hello
if you buy a vinylium cutter or wathever cutter vinylium will provide always with plates , stylii or whatever...as long as you pay... thats the only condition they have...
and if you really have the intention to buy a dubplatecutter of them fill out the order form and make a part payment. that increases their time to act to max.hehehe...

with the kingston cutter you can cut easy any existing material. accetate , polycarbonat, harmodisk, vinyl , souri plates (if you can get some hehe)

but for all these materials except the accetate you need a diamond stylus.
and you need some skills. but i know a few people who cut successfully polycarbonat plates with the diamond stylus.
i recently made a video you can find on youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa9_h2CrNJU

here all on a standard vinylium cutter. added a simple chip removal.

i just recommend you add a good chip removal system.. you need an old vacuum cleaner, some tubes a chip jar and a few hours of time.

and in future you can buy all the blanks stylii or whatever on
www.vinylike.com

this is a joint of me , martin (ameise and former apollo.de distributor) and vinylium.
we will set up a webshop soon. and subsequently add all the items required for cutting. at the moment we will only have the diamond stylii, the blanks, the ameise test tone record, adhesive labels...
but there will be more .
my idea is to have an alternative to the one and only at the moment...
so we work hard on having sapphire stylii, accetate .....
just need the time. but we will do.

cuttercollector

Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:06 pm

" I imagine they get a lot of emails from people wanting a 52x vinyl-burner that they can slot into their PC... "

:D

Can I have one of those? If only it were that easy!

Mixing my threads completely here, in light of the location direct cutting project by motorino, I wonder what sort of "portable" lathes people have used for location recording? Especially, has anyone had good results with making/using any portable stereo machine? I think I saw a link to Flo's page with one he had made with a Presto with a Vinlium head and electronics.
Is anyone using a Kingston or Vinylrecorder setup with a Technics or other table or something else altogether (Vestax??) successfully as a portable lathe?

flozki

Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:16 pm

i did already many live cuttings with a kingston setup.
but i just prefer something a little heavier.... and normally there is not that much space.
with the kingston you have always to put the overhead aside.
so on almost all of these life cutting events there are lots of people around. and they grab what they can get to see the stuff better. so with my presto i have it a litte bit better under control....

the best machine i had until now (ok you need a car to move) was an am131, i built a case with wheels and all necessary stuff inside.... even a urei1178. so i was well prepared
also to have a microscope is very practical.
i used either a sx74 head or a sc-99 head with a customized vinylium vc-200 amp (cutter current meters, switchable elliptical equalizer...)

the picture is from a life performance (in 2004 )we do from time to time...called tabula rasa together with artist and turntable pioneer christian marclay.
unfortunately the lathe was sold "accidentally" and is now in the property of some rich corean collector....

the case i still have and i hope to finde once another am131.

but i think for the future i will have something else...i dont expect to find an am131 for a reasonable price soon...
it is an old swiss lathe from thorens (40'ies or so.)
sorry i just have this 2 pictures right now..not the best.

as you can see that lathe needs still some work. but as a swiss machine from back in the days..there is not too much that can go wrong.hehe.
the advantage to the presto6N is that it also has this fixed overhead.... very practical.. so this will be the new one..in a flightcase....

Aussie0zborn

Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:57 pm

Nice set-up but...... "sold accidentally"???

mossboss

Thorens cutter

Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:57 pm

Did they ever made a pro cutter Flo? Cheers

flozki

Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:16 pm

yes. someone.not me sold the lathe...
thinking it is not mine...
that can happen if you dont store all your stuff at your place.

the thorens was pretty pro for its time...40ies
super heavy turntable...good amps. strong motor...
but i was more for radio-station use.

but i know at least 2 studios cutting master-laquers with that back in the time... before stereo....

cuttercollector

Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:58 pm

Flo, in the pictures of the live setup, one is the actual lathe and the other is an old US made Califone (I think) school classroom type player. What was THAT doing there? Were those live video screens or just posters?

And on the Thorens lathe ( which I had never seen) is the arm thing on the left for some sort of chip guide or vacuum chip removal? Was the other hole a playback arm or microscope mount?

Paul Mac

Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:11 pm

Thanks a lot for the help.

cuttercollector

Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:23 pm

Paul Mac wrote:Thanks a lot for the help.
Well, the others here were a lot of help before I drug the thread off topic...
Sorry.

Paul Mac

Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:28 pm

cuttercollector wrote:
Paul Mac wrote:Thanks a lot for the help.
Well, the others here were a lot of help before I drug the thread off topic...
Sorry.
No problem an off topic thread never hurt anybody ;)

mossboss

Thorens Cutter

Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:25 am

Hey Flo
Thanks for that Id imagine that they would be up there with the pro gear After all given Swiss excellence on micro engineering at the time it is no surprise
Cheers

flozki

Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:19 am

cuttercollector:

the califone turntables are used by christian marclay to play back the records i cut....

the pictures on the background are videoprojections... so people can see whats happenig on stage....

about the other arm. i dont know yet. the lathe is so damn rare that there hardly exist no pictures.until now i only one mentioning in the literature.with one bad picture....
.and when i talked to the guys using this lathe.. i didnt had... and now they took their knowlege in the grave...
i guess it was for kind of a brush or so to remove the chip. or for the microscope. even dont know if that was original...

but i will find out.. i havent worked on the lathe and i didnt had time to search for much more info...

i think the tonearm is missing... there was normally a very heavy tonearm.

and thorens made another lathe. a little bit smaller one. more portable....
no pictures right now...

as soon as i have info and time you find it on my website...

MEGAMIKE

Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:16 pm

nobody has been denied blanks or stylie from vinylrecorder who buys his machine, this is a myth posted on this site and if its true who said it wots the story please share with us??

and at the end of the day i will say the head of the dub cutter would be of higher peformance but it is not for cutting polys , this is an add on later wich you have to add chip removal vacum,find diamonds and find youre own blanks ,vinylrecorder supplys all of this without chasing or worrying about supply.. :D

MEGAMIKE

Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:21 pm

hi flo
how far were you from stage,as last time i cut a band i was too close :oops: and the bass killed me hahahahaah and the recording ..but when i record a band from studio its fine...(vol at both recordings was the same ) maybe to close to sound system....

flozki

Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:44 am

megamike:
i am with the lathe normally on stage...depends on the lathe. add some heavy stone under the lathe.. never had big problems...
i think it could happen that there are bass resonance problems..but maybe i was just lucky....

concerning denied blanks from the guru...
sorry i know some people...

i can understand if he says ok i just sell to my customers...
but my personal experience is (i ordered 3 stylii ) that he came up with strange bullshit stories, why he can not sell me some diamonds..i prefer if he says hey i dont like your face. so i dont sell you my lovely diamonds......

so this is unfortunately not a myth.
even to people bought the vinylrecorder 2nd hand....

what would you say if you come to a gas station and the guy says.oh sorry you havent bought this car at my place. so fuck off..
not really what we are used to.....

but luckily all this is not from importance anymore.

everybody can cut with any lathe pc plates. just need enough motor power..

buy your pc plates at any local dealer.. i heard from someone he can get them for under $2 a piece. in any quantities...no matter if he buys 1 or 10.
this is how it should be.
and if some others charge $5 this is also ok.but you have the choice..

also it is very easy to convert the souri head for using standard 1:20 cone stylus. then you can use either apollo, transco , vinylium, capps whatever you can get.

so the guru might loose some sheeps...
also souri could have made a lot of money if he would open the market.
my favorite hobby is not locating diamond producers... so if had been able to buy his diamonds, i would never looked to find a producer...
and i guess there are alot of people buying his styli if they just can..

motorino

Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:12 pm

and not necessarily people have purchased a second hand vinylrecorder

if you say something that bothers.... forget. and eat with potatoes your vinylrecorder

Cheers

Internet

Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:34 pm

motorino wrote:forget. and eat with potatoes your vinylrecorder

Cheers

hahahaha

MEGAMIKE

Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:39 am

thanks flo
but u understand i get upset when people diss souri, as i have seen the hard work he is doing..maybe he is worryed people will only buy blanks and stylie and not his machine... :) at the end of the day babyboomers are hard to deal with hahaahha..no sheep no fur..
Last edited by MEGAMIKE on Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.