Scratch holograms

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

cementimental

Scratch holograms

Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:12 pm

Has anyone heard of/tried this?:
http://www.amasci.com/amateur/holo1.html

It's a method of HAND DRAWING HOLOGRAMS!! :shock:

I had a go, it does work surprisingly well, but is quite time-consuming.

It's not much like lathe cutting, but seems somehow related in my mind.

If this technology could be somehow automated in a lo-fi way (maybe some form of chemical etching from computer-designed patterns?) and combined with lathe cut records some truely beautiful artifacts could be created! Imagine a perspex record with hologram label!?

sirkut

Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:34 pm

I've made actual holograms on photographic glass plates. It was a pain in the ass to get the laser to work right, exposure times, etc. Physics is fun, especially in the optics lab. :)

cementimental

Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:12 am

Cool... i always wanted to make holograms but the learning curve and cost of equipment + materials put me off... so I was pleased to find out about this scratch hologram thing...

One idea I've had (but have not tried) is to use software to draw high-resolution 'scratches' in the correct pattern which could then be etched using printing or circuit-board technology... not sure if this would work, but seems like it could. Not sure if the etched lines would be shiney enough though?

Aussie0zborn

Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:24 am

Records such as Split Enz's "True Colours" (Australia) were pressed with a holgram graphic across the surface of the entire vinyl disc. This is an Australian release but the record was mastered in LA, USA. It would appear that the blank lacquer master was etched with the holgram pattern before the record was cut. There is a little surface noise on the record but the effect is really neat.