How to get high frequencies at the end of recording

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Alfred

How to get high frequencies at the end of recording

Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:38 pm

Hi dear trolls.. :)
.. I have been looking for a thread related to my doubts and the truth is that the result has been negative, or at least I have not been able to find it.
I am a lover of 7-inch singles at 45 rpm....
As is known, in a cutting recording, as the end of the record is reached, the spiral becomes narrower and therefore the separation of the grooves as well. ..
This means that the low frequencies are present, but the high frequencies are not in the same proportion as at the beginning of the disc.
To solve this situation in a non-professional environment in which I find myself, what can I do? ..
As I understand it, maybe I should increase the rotation of the lathe screw, or I increase medium and high frequencies, or both options at the same time, or I am completely wrong and neither of them is the solution.
Your enormous knowledge will surely help me find the light to this dilemma I have. :roll:
Cheers from Barcelona
Alfred

farmersplow

Re: How to get high frequencies at the end of recording

Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:13 am

Alfred wrote:
...I am a lover of 7-inch singles at 45 rpm....
...As is known, in a cutting recording, as the end of the record is reached, the spiral becomes narrower and therefore the separation of the grooves as well. ..
This means that the low frequencies are present, but the high frequencies are not in the same proportion as at the beginning of the disc.

Cheers from Barcelona
Alfred
Hello Alfred,

the groove spacing does not usually get narrower towards the center And even if they were narrower, you would have problems with low frequencies and not with high frequencies. Low frequencies require much more space than high frequencies (despite IRIAA).
What changes towards the center is the speed at which the needle moves across the groove. At the outer edge of a 12" record (diameter 300mm, circumference approx. 942mm) and a record rotation of 45 rpm (0.75 rpm/sec), the stylus travels about 700mm in one second. At the outer edge of a 7" record it is only 400mm and at the inner edge only 260mm in one second. This means that there is less and less length left towards the middle to accommodate one second of music material, which reduces the quality and therefore demanding pieces of music with high dynamics are usually played at the beginning of LP records. However, the distance between the grooves usually remains the same as at the beginning.
PS. With classical music, it often happens that nothing happens at all in terms of volume for 15 minutes and only then does a musical climax come - with timpani and trumpets, which makes it very loud. This was exactly wrong for long-playing records, which is why people (rarely) experimented and the record was cut from the inside out.
Do you have the problem with all recordings or only with certain songs? If you have the problem, you could always cut at a lower volume and/or change the EQ curve with the recording time and slowly increase the high frequencies - but this is very difficult.
Thomas

markrob

Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:57 pm

Hi,

The reason for cutting inside out was to make the transition from a multiple disc performance seamless for broadcast. If you start cutting inside, you have lower fidelity. As you move to the outer diameters, the fidelity improves. When you reach the end of the side, the next disc starts its recording from the outside in and is at the same fidelity level as the last disc. If you ended part one of a two disc program at the inner grooves and then began part two at the outside the change in quality would be very noticeable. This was a clever method to overcome this problem.

Mark

farmersplow

Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:04 am

markrob wrote:
Hi,
The reason for cutting inside out was ...
Mark
... and I've learned something again! Thank you Mark!

Alfred

Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:13 pm

farmersplow wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:13 am
Alfred wrote:
...I am a lover of 7-inch singles at 45 rpm....
...As is known, in a cutting recording, as the end of the record is reached, the spiral becomes narrower and therefore the separation of the grooves as well. ..

Cheers from Barcelona
Alfred
Hello Alfred,

the groove spacing does not usually get narrower towards the center And even if they were narrower, you would have problems with low frequencies and not with high frequencies. Low frequencies require much more space than high frequencies (despite IRIAA).
What changes towards the center is the speed at which the needle moves across the groove. At the outer edge of a 12" record (diameter 300mm, circumference approx. 942mm) and a record rotation of 45 rpm (0.75 rpm/sec), the stylus travels about 700mm in one second. At the outer edge of a 7" record it is only 400mm and at the inner edge only 260mm in one second. This means that there is less and less length left towards the middle to accommodate one second of music material, which reduces the quality and therefore demanding pieces of music with high dynamics are usually played at the beginning of LP records. However, the distance between the grooves usually remains the same as at the beginning.
PS. With classical music, it often happens that nothing happens at all in terms of volume for 15 minutes and only then does a musical climax come - with timpani and trumpets, which makes it very loud. This was exactly wrong for long-playing records, which is why people (rarely) experimented and the record was cut from the inside out.
Do you have the problem with all recordings or only with certain songs? If you have the problem, you could always cut at a lower volume and/or change the EQ curve with the recording time and slowly increase the high frequencies - but this is very difficult.
Thomas
Hi Thomas. Thanks so much for your explanation.
Ooops.... well I was really wrong.
I thought that if I increased the separation of the grooves it was ideal for the high frequencies to appear in the recording, and it turns out that is not the case.
One is always learning.
I detect a certain degradation in quality and volume in all the recordings. Maybe it's that I am very demanding with the equipment configuration I have, and at a non-professional level there is nothing more that can be done.
Alfred

Alfred

Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:17 pm

markrob wrote:
Hi,

The reason for cutting inside out was to make the transition from a multiple disc performance seamless for broadcast. If you start cutting inside, you have lower fidelity. As you move to the outer diameters, the fidelity improves. When you reach the end of the side, the next disc starts its recording from the outside in and is at the same fidelity level as the last disc. If you ended part one of a two disc program at the inner grooves and then began part two at the outside the change in quality would be very noticeable. This was a clever method to overcome this problem.

Mark
Hi Mark, how much knowledge do you have...good lesson I have learned
Then, at the amateur level where I am, nothing can be done to improve volume and high frequencies?
Alfred

Phinster

Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:24 am

Alfred,what cartridge and arm are you using?

Greg Reierson

Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:52 pm

If you are having unusually poor HF response towards the center you can check a few things. First, double check your repro side. It's critically important that your repro is properly calibrated, especially tonearm alignment. And while it's a good idea to use a modest cartridge for playback compatibility testing, it's not a good indication of frequency response. You need at least a decent elliptical stylus to understand frequency response, even at 45 RPM. Check response with a test record. Even then it's not all that reliable above 10k or so but it will get you in the ballpark.

Once you are sure your repro is in good shape, check a few things on the cutting side. Double check the zenith of your cutting head. IOW, the make sure your cutting stylus is perfectly perpendicular to the disc. To check, drop the head on a non-spinning scrap blank and move the head on its carriage from the outermost position to the innermost position. This will scribe a line on the blank. It should point directly toward the center of the disc. No room for error here.

Also make sure the cutting stylus is dead straight in the head.

Notice these are all mechanical things. That's where you'll find most problems in cutting and repro systems.
Greg Reierson
http://www.RareFormMastering.com
VMS70 :: SAL74B :: SX74