Distortion even at low levels.......

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

PMST

Distortion even at low levels.......

Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:20 am

I have two VR heads, each head has been cutting around 200 to 300 discs each, per month for about 3 years.

In the past days, both heads are getting some nasty distortion, sibilance in particular, but even well below 0dbu at 45rpm which i have never encountered before. I've tested the heads, both read 4ohms on either side. That seems normal. I've changed amps, cables, swapped heads, diamonds and so on. I checked the fuses, they are reading low, but all exactly the same, across each lathe.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am wondering if it Is just the heads being worked too hard and having coil issues even with the ohms are reading correctly? Or could this be something else entirely?

Discomo

Re: Distortion even at low levels.......

Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:53 am

Have you checked your d/a converter? I had a clock problem once. It caused sibilance and clicking problems. Somehow the clock at my software didn’t correspond with my converter. Maybe something got reset after a software update. Once I made sure everything was running on the same clock the issue was gone.

PMST

Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am

Yeah i've swapped the players out and tried different sources, still the same.

I'm thinking it is just a send to Souri job, i cut a lot of discs, and have to cut loud so assuming at this point it is just wear and tear.

Discomo

Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:19 pm

PMST wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am
Yeah i've swapped the players out and tried different sources, still the same.

I'm thinking it is just a send to Souri job, i cut a lot of discs, and have to cut loud so assuming at this point it is just wear and tear.
I didn’t even know it’s possible that the coils can erode

leemichael

Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:18 pm

Post a clip, sounds like mechanical breakdown of one of the drivers from being pushed too hard for long periods.

Try cutting with one driver at a time momentarily.

drdub

Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:11 am

Probably you can try to pan in software to left an right and see which side is the affected one.
satan spins vinyl

*** www.drdub.com ***

Discomo

Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:42 am

Are the two VR’s connected to one source? I’d look there to start. The chances that both VR’s show exactly the same problem at the same moment seems unlikely to me

PMST

Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:41 am

Thanks for all the feedback. The issue is now sorted. Strangely it was multiple diamonds causing this, i thought the odds of so many freshly 'resharpened' diamonds would never be the cause, low and behold, a set of new diamonds are used and order is restored.

Discomo

Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:53 am

PMST wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:41 am
Thanks for all the feedback. The issue is now sorted. Strangely it was multiple diamonds causing this, i thought the odds of so many freshly 'resharpened' diamonds would never be the cause, low and behold, a set of new diamonds are used and order is restored.
Perfect! Glad it’s solved.