Distortion problem on 2kHz (VR)

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Krisgee

Distortion problem on 2kHz (VR)

Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:21 pm

Hello dear people,

I have a problem and spent a lot of time trying to solve it, but nothing helped. And it could be some very simple answer to that (or solution).

So I'm trying to cut my friend's music (acoustic ambient performed live) into 10" and everything sounds very nice except one episode of ~35 seconds, which is the only loud/harsh place on that set but it's made intentionally so. It is arpeggiated sine wave, which should evoke otoacoustic emission (OAE).

Problematic resonants in this material appear between 1500 Hz and 2500 Hz and is at it's most between 1700 to 2100Hz. Here is screenshot:
Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 22.17.48.png
This is Original file (CAREFUL!!! LOUD VOLUME!!!):
Original arp sine.mp3
This what I get:
Cut arp sine.mp3
Could this be stylus or cutter head problem?
Or is it common problem with resonant places on most of Souri's cutter heads?

The needle isn't new, but through microscope looks very sharp and with any other musical material it's sounding just great.
I tried and checked quite everything: replacing cutterhead, replacing stylus (tried another stylus as well), calibrated everything once again, replaced turntable stylus, tried on quit volume and loud volume, with all possible spectrum of stylus heating, tried different optimisations on DAW and other things that came to my mind. Also many different EQ Match settings on FabFilter EQ. Loud or quite it sounded the same way - distorted.

Interesting thing is that two weeks ago I was cutting same material with best settings I found for it and it sounded without any distortion. Now I came back to cut the same material and it's distorted. Although nothing has changed.

Does anybody has an idea what it could be?

I appreciate your time and answers very much!
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

farmersplow

Re: Distortion problem on 2kHz (VR)

Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:26 pm

Hello Krisgge,

I am not a professional and have no experience with VR. But I do have a little signaling experience. The sound piece is certainly not easy to cut cleanly because it doesn't allow any mistakes. With a signal (almost) exclusively in the 1.5 - 2.7 kHz frequency range, you can immediately hear any errors outside this range, which would otherwise be "hidden" by other sounds in the upper frequency range.
So I listened carefully to the signal and measured it. The faulty signals always occur at double (multiples of) the frequencies.
So that looks like harmonic waves.

Original vs Cut.png

If the signal is in the same (or a multiple) of the natural resonance frequency, resonances or harmonic waves occur. It is possible that this music signal at 1.9kHz is exactly a multiple of the resonant frequency of the cutting head and thus generates such harmonics.
However, since you describe that you have made a good recording with the same equipment, it does not necessarily have to be exclusively due to the cutting head. I already had the problem that I exceeded the limits of the internal operational amplifiers with the filters and the pre-amp (simply too loud a signal at the input), which resulted in similar distortions. Maybe try sending the signal to the power amp at a lower volume.
Maybe that helps.

Thomas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.