VR T560 with Caruso Head Cable Management

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Loris

Re: VR T560 with Caruso Head Cable Management

Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:19 pm

flozki wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 3:24 pm
to all cross headers:
in case you gonna have more connectors (only missing connectors are good connectors) i strongly recommend to use twisted pairs for the cables.thin.high flex wires. the shorter the better.
also adding some weight might help, as the head was made light weight to use on simple , cheap overheads.

sorry that i cant give too more advice, as i never had and never will have a vinylrecorder.
warning: to use a caruso head on a VR must be a very blasphemous act and will never bring you to VR heaven.
and as written in a few post above,its seems anyway not be necessary to change: as you already have the best of the best heads.

in case of crossing the border. use good high flex twisted pair cables as short as possible.

happy cutting.

Hi! I am now reading this topic and it's the right time because I planned to modifie my prototype lathe on which Im using a caruso head. Right now the cabling goes directly from the amp/preamp to the head. Without any connectors in between. As it is written above, I have non-constant cut because of the pressure of the cables on the head that may varies. So I will add connectors close to the head to have a fixed point close to the pivot. I understand the cables have to be as short and flex as possible. I have 0.14mm2 and 0.22mm2 cables Sommer Highflex in my stock. I know I can use 0.14mm2 for the feedback signals but I wonder if I can also use it for the drive signals. Or is it better to use the 0.22mm2 (or thicker) one because of more power in the drive signals? Any advice regarding the cable section? Or if anybody can tell me the type/brand of cable that are using? I assume the best is to try. And I will do it if no response but maybe somebody here already made the test.

Thank you. Any advice regarding that will be really appreciated. Good week to everybody.

flozki

Re: VR T560 with Caruso Head Cable Management

Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:24 am

thats how to do.
if you do different it might cause problems.
i use 0.12mm2 or 0.14mm2.
in case of 0.12mm2 its 65x 0.05 wire.
drive coil is a 0.1mm wire. so plenty of reserve
as long as you keep it as short as possible. 5-8cm max.

but i also use often a direct cable on old school recorders without that adapter cable. absolutely no problem if weight is right.
but i cant speak for VR
caruso_cable_flokason1s.jpg
caruso_cable_suspensioAM44_1s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.