Best mono cutter head?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

mratx

Best mono cutter head?

Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:15 pm

I'm looking to get a better cutter head for my Rek-o-kut M-5 overhead cutter (it's like an M-12 except 16 inches long). I currently have an old horseshoe type RCA head, and I'd like to replace it with hopefully a high quality mono head. Would the best mono head I'm likely to find be either a Presto 1d or a Grampian C or D? And if I get a Grampian D is the feedback difficult to set up? I did some searching through the archives and those seemed to be the most likely candidates.

Any recommendations would be appreciated, thanks!

Mark

cuttercollector

Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:00 am

Westrex 2B, but I don't think it could be adapted to fit.

audiocarver

Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:38 pm

I second the 2B statement. I wish I could mount one on my lathe. :(

As for the feedback question, looking at my schematics of the Gotham amplifier I don't see why you couldn't make something up or, recreate that part of the amplifier. The problem is, making it work with another amp and would you get the desired results.

It would be a project for sure. If you like building amps, it would be up your alley. If your looking for something quick and easy, this approch would not be what you want as there would be some trial and error to get what you want/need.

Personally, I've got both Presto 1D heads and a Grampion D with Gotham amplifier. My experience has been not too much difference between the two. The Grampion head does a little better on the high end frequencies then the Presto, but you almost have to be looking for it.

Of course, my ears could just be that bad since I like to cut LOUD!! :D

emorritt

Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:39 pm

A while back Flo posted a schematic for a feedback adapter for the Grampian head that works with any amp. I built it (several op amps and some other inexpensive parts) and it works great. High end sounds really good and the feedback portion of it helps with the bass which is about all Grampian feedback is good for anyway. It's on here somewhere probably circuits schematics etc. but I don't recall if that section existed at the time - it's been probably a year ago. You also have to remember to put a few drops of silicon fluid in the head about 10 - 20 minutes before cutting. Without it the sound is fonky... :wink:

flozki

Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:30 pm

go for a grampian for a heavy duty head, simple to use.

if you can find one go for an ortofon:
DS 681 , DS 641,DS 522 . all the same almost. i dont see any big difference...
but for that one you need special feedback preamp and maybe a modification
for using neuman stylii.

i like them very much.simple and good

or even a neumann ES59.but a little bit more fragile than the ortofon ones...

audiocarver

Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:08 pm

Hi Flo,

Could I use my Gotham amp with a Neumann ES59? Or, would the feedback circuits be different? Or, could I recalibrate the Gotham amp to achieve appropriate RIAA curve? Thanks

Andy

cosmO_O

Re: Best mono cutter head?

Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:52 am

Hi Trolls! I need a little help.

I got an offer for a Neumann MS52 and an Ortofon 522 heads.

I really like to go into serious mono cutting, please help, which head is the better choice? Any experience, technical specs?

I affraid a little about the ortofon styli solution, but it have a feedback. Neumann seems more stronger but no feedback... :?: :?:

Thanks for the answers!