T560, Presto, Vortex...any suggestions?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

exil

Re: T560, Presto, Vortex...any suggestions?

Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:28 am

MEGAMIKE wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:11 pm
hi ...yes the lathe is amazing, quality is second to none..but I don't work for them only have photo on my site as its from my city and iam very proud that something like that comes from my home town..
.contact James he's really Kool guy..
Hi MEGAMIKE, thanks a lot for the info! Hopefully you get some feedback from Guinness.
All, the best & take care :)

boryo

Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:27 am

Here you check Sillitoe lathe: https://www.sillitoeaudiotechnology.com/
I think its on pre-order phase but keep in mind that they aim to provide PRO system so price will be much more than VR.

soeffingodly

Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:19 pm

boryo wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:27 am
Here you check Sillitoe lathe: https://www.sillitoeaudiotechnology.com/
I think its on pre-order phase but keep in mind that they aim to provide PRO system so price will be much more than VR.
Yes, the price point is much higher but I am sure it works like a boss. Wish I had the extra bread to cop one! Shoot, wish I had the dough for a Nightengale head, too. While I am at it why not get a Scully? haha :D
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

kostix

Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:06 pm

Hey guys! Konstantin from TKV Instruments here. Just to quick comment about the VC01 cutterhead I designed. It has no problems with installation on Presto recorders, and if needed, with a recent "update" it can reach 7" disc closing areas on the 6N (and others similar with wider center rod), as well as it has been successfully installed along with vacuum pickup.

Here are some audio samples recorded with different serial number heads.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AuUU7T-lY8Ffw67bXPNPi_SBrpG0tU-G?usp=sharing

Regards,
Konstantin

SONARC

Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:08 am

Hi Konstantin! I have one of your VC01 cutterheads, although I have not had the opportunity to use it yet with my 6N, as I haven't been able to obtain diamond stylii and blanks yet. Recently, however, I *did* have the opportunity to hone my cutting skills with PIAPTK and KrisD on a modified Presto 8DG, fitted with a VC01 cutterhead, using a MyShank stylus and going direct to a MyShank blank disc. The process felt pretty comfortable, possibly because I have been working with a 6N for the past few years, although the mechanics of the 8DG really streamlined some of my usual methods, and the biggest challenge seemed to be the placement of the suction tube. The results all around were pretty amazing, though. I posted a couple of on-the-fly video clips on Instagram which might possibly give a bit of insight; maybe a couple of the other folks who I was learning with might have posted something as well. I'm sure I'd be interested in hearing more about your recent "update", though!

• • • •
kostix wrote:
Hey guys! Konstantin from TKV Instruments here. Just to quick comment about the VC01 cutterhead I designed. It has no problems with installation on Presto recorders, and if needed, with a recent "update" it can reach 7" disc closing areas on the 6N (and others similar with wider center rod), as well as it has been successfully installed along with vacuum pickup.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AuUU7T-lY8Ffw67bXPNPi_SBrpG0tU-G?usp=sharing

Regards,
Konstantin

kostix

Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:05 am

Hey buddy! I dropped you an email some days ago, but well.. I think there should be no issue with mounting a vacuum tube as some of the guys managed to do it with this head on a 6N. It all basically depends on the installation height of the head, as well as how high or low is the stylus sitting.. its possible to find the right combination for the needle to have the right angle and have enough clearance under the head to reach with a vacuum tube from the back, or back/sides. The update I was talking about is a milling into the side of the head so that it has enough space on its left side wall (if looking at the lathe from the front), for the center foot of the presto, in such way so that the normal, standard 7" closing groove area is reachable (like for jukeboxes). Done on two heads so far, one of them Mikes, he is going to test this soon to ultimately confirm the clearance compliance.

Konstantin
SONARC wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:08 am
Hi Konstantin! I have one of your VC01 cutterheads, although I have not had the opportunity to use it yet with my 6N, as I haven't been able to obtain diamond stylii and blanks yet. Recently, however, I *did* have the opportunity to hone my cutting skills with PIAPTK and KrisD on a modified Presto 8DG, fitted with a VC01 cutterhead, using a MyShank stylus and going direct to a MyShank blank disc. The process felt pretty comfortable, possibly because I have been working with a 6N for the past few years, although the mechanics of the 8DG really streamlined some of my usual methods, and the biggest challenge seemed to be the placement of the suction tube. The results all around were pretty amazing, though. I posted a couple of on-the-fly video clips on Instagram which might possibly give a bit of insight; maybe a couple of the other folks who I was learning with might have posted something as well. I'm sure I'd be interested in hearing more about your recent "update", though!

• • • •

kostix wrote:

Regards,
Konstantin