Getting Started with some Parts I found. Help/Advice Needed

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

noah330

Getting Started with some Parts I found. Help/Advice Needed

Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:00 pm

Hi,

I have some parts of unknown origin that I was hoping to get some advice on.

The good news is that my lathe will move my cutter head as a turntable spins. The other good news is that I am getting a decent reading on my cutting head using my ohm meter (3.7 ohms with nothing hooked up). I also have a Techniques Direct Drive turntable that I plan on using to get started.

The bad news is that I don't have a dedicated amplifier for this and I also don't know what brand these parts are. My cutting head is also missing a stylus, which doesn't seem to be a huge deal but not knowing what brand anything is it's a bit hard to purchase one.

The magnet in my cutting head seems to be very strong. It pulled a penny right up to it when I had it on my table. I need to replace the wires on the head as well because they're very frayed. Does anyone have a good trick to figure out which is the positive and which is the ground? I'm thinking I would see negative on my meter if I had them wrong, but I wanted to make sure.

There is a hole in the case for the cutting head but if I can get this working I can easily repair that. Right now it doesn't seem to be affecting anything.

Also, I know that I need to do a reverse RIAA curve for this. I figure I can do that right in ProTools via a plugin. When I take my signal out I'm assuming I should go into a power amp and then the cutting head would connect to one of the speaker outs (as this is a mono head). Would a 100 watt amp do the job or should I go for something much higher? I have an older Carver lying around but there are very high power Class D amps out there for not a lot of money.

Right now I would appreciate any/all advice anyone can give.

Thanks!

Noah

Soulbear

Re: Getting Started with some Parts I found. Help/Advice Needed

Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:21 pm

The images would be nice to see, they.... Ahem..... Somehow don't seem to be visible :wink: :wink: :wink:
Regards Soulbear :P :) :D

Soulbear

Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:24 pm

P.S It does not matter in the least which way around the wires to the Cutterhead are connected, You are feeding the Cutterhead with AC :wink: :wink: :wink:

noah330

Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:52 pm

Thanks for the info. If I'm feeding it with AC then there must be some steps I'm missing. I appreciate the help.

Here are the photos:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/111bH2Q8l6g_qO9dS8Jv_PcV66RNX2rNM?usp=sharing

Soulbear

Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:21 pm

If I'm feeding it with AC then there must be some steps I'm missing. I appreciate the help.

Not really missing anything, perhaps you don't know that the Audio Drive Voltage from the Amplifier that you will be using will be outputing AC Drive Voltages, but not at the same frequency as an AC Power supply from the wall socket!! Where ever you are in the world the AC Frequency is usually "fixed" at 50 or 60 Hz
These are what in Audio Terms are classed as "Low Frequencies" Drums and Bass etc As the frequencies become Higher we start getting into the Vocal Range, Higher still an it's the Hi-Hats and Strings in the Audio we hear.. READ READ READ :wink: :wink: :wink:

noah330

Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:37 pm

I understand what you're saying. That's what I assumed. Thanks!

piaptk

Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:34 pm

If you need help, I offer skype tech support calls and can answer all of your questions right away and cut down the time to get rolling significantly.

BUT, FYI... it looks like the stylus screw is broken off in your head, which is going to be very problematic.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com