Help to Identify This Part

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

PhilColodetti

Help to Identify This Part

Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:09 pm

Dear Colleagues,

Can anyone help me to identify this part? I found them together with a set of Grampian heads.
20200712_150108.jpg
I really appreciate any help!

Thank you,

Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

emidisc

Re: Help to Identify This Part

Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:29 pm

Cutter stylus x 2

Soulbear

Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:33 pm

Hi Phil
Cutting Styluses or Styli, look to be complete with Nichrome (Nickel Chromium) Heater Wires :wink: :wink:
https://www.myshank.com/en/14-grampian

Hope this is not what we term a "Leg Lift :mrgreen: :wink: "
Regards Soulbear :P :) :D

PhilColodetti

Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:22 pm

I don't know if this is appropriate for this forum section, but does this have any value? (I already sold the grampian heads "as-is")

piaptk

Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:43 pm

Those are styli for Neumann (or maybe VR) cutter heads. Weird that they would be with a Grampian, because they wouldn't work in a Grampian.

If they are diamond, they have a small amount of "as-is" value, because Myshank can resharpen them, but resharpening is expensive. If they are sapphire, then they aren't worth much because the majority of people that have heads that can use them wouldn't want to take a chance on an unknown stylus.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

PhilColodetti

Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:29 pm

Thank you for your answer. For context, about 25 years ago I purchased a truckload of gear from a defunct recording studio that also had a cutting lathe (I did not buy the lathe). Because of the COVID lockdown, I rummaged through my storage and found these styli (the Grampian I sold may years ago), but I don't know the brand of heads the studio had. It is very possible that the heads were Neumann because the defunct studio was an authorized Neumann dealer for mics.

I really appreciate the help and will contact Myshank. Thank you all and stay safe!