Lathe Cut Camp #11! November 9-11, 2019

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

piaptk

Lathe Cut Camp #11! November 9-11, 2019

Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:45 am

UPDATE: NEW Lathe Cut Camp Veterans Day Weekend, Nov 9-11, 2019!

I merged the threads.

If you have been having limited luck getting started with your lathe, I can help!

THIS CAMP FOCUSES ON NEWBIES AND THOSE WITHOUT MACHINES, BUT WHO WANT TO LEARN AND SEE IF INVESTING IN A LATHE IS A GOOD FIT FOR THEM, OR THOSE WHO RECENTLY ACQUIRED A LATHE AND WANT TO LEARN THE SECRETS!)

YOU ALSO GET TO CUT YOUR OWN RECORDS AND TAKE THEM WITH YOU!

http://www.LatheCutCamp.com

Nov 9-11, 2019 (Sat and Sunday) are the most important days, Mon the 8th is just additional practice and cutting of attendees records, in case you have to leave early)

THERE ARE ONLY 8 SPOTS AND EVERY PREVIOUS CAMP HAS SOLD OUT!

( I also have several lathes available for sale if you are considering purchasing one)

Spend three days in scenic Tucson, AZ learning (almost) everything you need to know about DIY Record Cutting! The focus of this camp will be on mono "semi-professional" machines, with particular focus on Presto 6Ns, which are one of the most common and "industry standard" vintage machines around. (if you have a different model that you want to learn more about, please ask! I may have one you can use here, or you can bring your own). You can do some amazing things with these incredible machines, and I will show you how.

Bring your own music and we will put it onto discs for you to take home. We will touch on professional record mastering/pressing, but my main interest and experience, and the focus of this camp, will be on the more DIY and experimental side of the hobby. There are only 7 spots available, so buy early because every previous camp has sold out!

Perfect if you are interested in:
Vinyl records and how their masters are cut
Learning how this strange black art works
Buying a lathe to make your own records
Ordering lathe cuts from a lathe cut service
Cutting your own music to disc

Topics covered:
The science behind vinyl record cutting
Lathe Operations and equipment
The pressing process
Lacquer dub plate cutting
Experimental and alternative materials (plexiglass, laserdiscs, picnic plates, etc)

Please Note: You are responsible for your own transportation to/from Tucson and your accommodations. However, the hotels here are pretty damn cheap (DO NOT book a hotel on Oracle Rd unless you enjoy the company of tweekers and ladies of the night).

RENTAL ROOMS AVAILABLE: And, if you want, I've got a cute mid-mod casita mother in law next to my house that I rent on airbnb, that can be yours for the whole stay (you can come in Friday night and stay until Tuesday, or longer if you want) for an extra $150, or a shared room in my house with a full size bed for an extra $100.

About the Presenter: For more info on me, please visit http://piaptk.limitedrun.com/about or http://www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com

To book a spot visit: http://www.LatheCutCamp.com
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

soeffingodly

Re: Lathe Cut Camp #10! June 8-10, 2019

Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:21 pm

For anyone interested (or not) I went to the last lathe camp in October and had a blast. I had been cutting records with my K-8 (or trying to) for approximately 8 months before heading to the lathe cave in Tucson.

Not only did I meet a bunch of cool like minded folks, many of whom I still stay in touch with, but I also got schooled in cutting records in general. I had purchased a 6N and I got to use it at the lathe camp before I took home what I could in my arms. The remainder got shipped back to Boston. All of which arrived safely and was packed like a champ.

Honestly, if I could head out again for this lathe camp run I would. But life is pummeling me so much I can't even cut records at home currently.

Pretty sure all of these have sold out so if you are interested I suggest booking it. And if you can get the little casita next door. The rooms in his crib aren't bad at all but the casita is where its at!

Happy Cutting!

-S
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

SONARC

Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:56 pm

magic-number.png
Indeed!

If you’re like me, a music-loving nerd who digs art and science, and has any level of interest in the different methods by which records are made, this is definitely worth checking out.

I’ve been to Lathe Camp three times, and each time brought back with me new knowledge, skills, friends, and adventures. And records.

In the Lathe Cave, I’ve witnessed the process of laser discs and compact discs being morphed into records you can play on a turntable, as well as seeing some of the world’s tiniest records ever being made (not for the faint-hearted!)

Thanks to PIAPTK’s willingness to share some of his own knowledge and experience through these camps, I’ve been able to ramp up my own operations to the point where I can confidently make records that sound pretty decent, IMHO. If you consider that PIAPTK had been honing his craft for a good decade prior to the first Lathe Camp I attended just under three years ago, I think that says quite a bit about what I feel I’ve learned from him. And I’m already thinking about going back again. Probably a few more times, at least!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

piaptk

Sat May 11, 2019 3:24 pm

this is a really great way to a) see if you actually want to cut records before buying a machine or b) learn a lot of information really quickly to apply to the machine you already have, but havent quite figured out...
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

piaptk

Re: Lathe Cut Camp #11! November 9-11, 2019

Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:30 pm

New Lathe Cut Camp! Veterans Day weekend, Tucson, AZ Nov 9-11, 2019.

Rather than starting a new thread for this one i just repurposed the thread from the last Lathe Cut camp.
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

soeffingodly

Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:35 am

November is a mighty fine time to be visiting Tucson! Wish I could make it.
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

piaptk

Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:32 pm

Down to one space left for the November Lathe Cut Camp. Www.lathecutcamp.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

New2Lathe

Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:17 pm

I have been to camp and it is a very worthwhile adventure!!

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk