skipping around outer edges

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

okpanda

skipping around outer edges

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:58 pm

my apologies, i feel as if this question has been asked and answered before, but i tried using the forum search and couldn't find what i was looking for.

what are some possible causes for skipping only around the outer edges of a 12"?

i'm cutting on a vr with souri's external motor and steel plate. mostly my cuts sound good, but i have frequent problems with the first 30 seconds or so of a side. after that, the skipping goes away and the rest of the disk cuts perfectly.

my platter is level, runout has been adjusted, stylus and cutterhead are properly calibrated, etc. i just cleaned and oiled both my lead screw and spindle bearing. i feel it may be a temperature or weight issue but i don't really know.

jjgolden

Re: skipping around outer edges

Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:00 pm

Assuming you're cutting on lacquers:

...I don't know anything specific to the VR recorder, but these are some general things to check/be aware of:

- The coating on the the Apollo/Transco discs are generally not flat all the way out to the edge.
( i.e. ripples, bumps and other defects on outer edge will cause the playback stylus to jump.)

- Be sure you're depth is the same at the outer edge as the inner diameter of the disc.
(i.e. you're not cutting a shallow/thinner groove at the outside diameter.)

- check the anti-skate setting on your turntable.

Hope this helps some : )
JJG

okpanda

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:11 pm

i'm just cutting plastic right now while i save up for my first batch of lacquers from apollo, but this is very useful, thank you.

Jesus H Chrysler

Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:23 am

I've found that the external motor will cause the plate to slip a bit and I have to re- level it about once a week. So check that. If you're sure that's flat, watch the head as it's cutting and see if it's riding up and down. Blanks can be warped or not consistently extruded. If that's the case, try increasing your head weight very slightly. Look at your dashpot too. Make sure you're not bouncing. Looking at your cut grooves under a scope can help you tell if it's bouncing or cutting too shallow.

Jccc

Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:39 pm

im having the same issue as well with embossing 10”
its like the first 30 seconds or so the needle randomly skips but later on in the record everything tracks perfect.

i am using a Presto 6N with Fairchild cutting head with Tungsten needles.

i do not get the skipping when embossing 7”, 8” records. Mostly with 10” & 12”.

If anyone has any ideas on these issues that would be great.