Someone wants to cut a few singles?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Johnny

Someone wants to cut a few singles?

Mon May 20, 2019 1:23 pm

MODERATOR NOTE: Johnny is no longer looking for “best quality” please read thread below.

Hey everybody!

I hope you are all good!

I am looking for someone who wants to cut me a few singles. I'd like the best quality.

Who'd like to help me?

tragwag

Re: Someone wants to cut a few singles?

Tue May 21, 2019 4:30 pm

I'm always working! I do stereo 'HIFI' lathe cuts on two Vinyl Recorder machines.
though if you want the absolute highest quality you'll want a dubplate from someone with a neumann or scully lathe.

here's my link with pricing and samples if you're interested:
www.audiogeography.com
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

piaptk

Wed May 22, 2019 1:14 am

tragwag wrote:I'm always working! I do stereo 'HIFI' lathe cuts on two Vinyl Recorder machines.
though if you want the absolute highest quality you'll want a dubplate from someone with a neumann or scully lathe.

here's my link with pricing and samples if you're interested:
http://www.audiogeography.com
But you will pay at least 2-3 times as much for a dub plate from a mastering machine, and it will degrade eventually (more quickly if you don't have super light weight on your playback tonearm).

Tyler is an Ace with that VR on Myshank plastic blanks. Highly Recommended... A+++
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Johnny

Thu May 23, 2019 10:11 am

ok, I keep this in my mind.

It can be someone that just like to cut lathe at home really. Anyone interested?

socialroots

Fri May 24, 2019 6:41 am

I doubt you gonna find someone at home cutting THE BEST quality,but i could be wrong,afterall quality is a subjective thing.
U wanted the best quality n now you even poking around looking for home hobbyist, is it because u dont wanna pay the price thats gonna get u the best quality?
In this game u usually gonna get what you pay for. Theres a reason for cheap n a reason for expensive . The best quality might seem expensive for some,but even the most expensive is still pretty cheap considering the work involved,time, n EXPERIENCE.nobody getting rich doing this stuff,a very highly underpaid service,considering that most cutting engineers probably are not making anything near surgeons kinda income.
I hope you get what u looking for,
Maximum respect,
Patrick
P.s,seems to me that everytime some posts on this forum looking for someone to do a small run of a few records, Tyler from audiogeography is th 1st to say "yes,i can do it" youd be foolish not to link up with one of the most positive helpful ,proffessional guys like Tragwag!

Johnny

Tue May 28, 2019 8:56 am

The songs are mono and I think they are people that have rek-o-kut and similar machines here, I would be completely fine with this.

It kinda goes well with the home made, delicate and proximity of this record.

Anyone wants to try it?

socialroots

Tue May 28, 2019 10:07 am

Just because Tyler says he does hifi stereo on vr,s doesnt mean he cant do mono for a client. You have posted here looking someone to cut a few records for you and that you want the BEST quality. Mr.Dixon himself from PIAPTK replied back with a very real and honestly,clear view of what to expect n look for in regards to your quest.
Next,you r searching for a hobbyist at home doing it out of love of cutting records,on th rebound now its more specific cuz you mentioning Rek O Kut lathes, well that now sounds like me cuz i cut out of my house studio and i have a Rek O Kut with a vintag mono cutting head. Im thinking to myself,i can do this cuz i deal strictly with vintage vibes. Where you loose me is the part inwhich u stated that you want "the best quality".
Hate to tell u,and im being honest but even with my experience n all my good intentions i could never cut with the expectations of the finished record being the best quality,not even close. There is a very real limit to what quality u can achieve from the Rek O Kut with a vintage mono cutterhead. I hope u have recieved alot of PM,s from the many people on this forum that run ,lathe cut business n that u have enuff different offers to choose from .but so far i can see that Tyler is the only one bitting,PIAPTK is a pioneer in lathe cuts,quite the expert and is linked up with a whole team of experienced cutters in Tucson,i dont get why u still searching.
U looking for someone to help u,does that mean u looking for a free lunch?
Maximum respect,
Patrick

piaptk

Tue May 28, 2019 3:03 pm

Truth.

There are plenty of options of people who do this for a living all day every day that are very easy to find online. No need to wait on another forum post or DM.

http://Www.audiogeography.com
http://Www.lathecuts.com

And about 10 more if you do your googling.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Johnny

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:43 am

Patrick, you be might exactly what I'd want! I know I said "best quality" but I am now thinking of something else.

I think it is perfect for the vibe of my songs to have someone cutting them at home.

Just that Taiwan is a bit far... Anyone in Europe wants to do it?

Johnny

Updated - Someone wants to cut a few singles?

Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:29 am

It could be at home with a old Presto, Reck-o-kut machine or anything really?

I am making a new thread because I changed my mind on this - This was during the other thread but my new question is on the bottom.

So for you to know what's what.

boryo

Re: Updated - Someone wants to cut a few singles?

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:50 am

Why don't you contact them directly? Almost all banners here are for people who do short runs :)

Best,
Bob

Johnny

Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:10 am

I am maybe thinking of someone who does it at home.

piaptk

Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:26 pm

Dude. so many people already gave you options on your other threads. What exactly are you looking for that Lathecuts.com, Audiogeography.com, or the other 15 lathe cut companies that come up on google don't offer?

EDIT: I'm going to combine your threads, because there is no point in having two threads for this.
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Johnny

Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:04 pm

piaptk wrote:Dude. so many people already gave you options on your other threads. What exactly are you looking for that Lathecuts.com, Audiogeography.com, or the other 15 lathe cut companies that come up on google don't offer?

EDIT: I'm going to combine your threads, because there is no point in having two threads for this.
My first intention was to have the best quality. I then decided that it would be perfect to have someone doing it at home. The first thread mentioned "best quality" in the first message, so it would reach the wrong kind of people. To make sure I would reach the right kind of people I thought it would be wise to do a new thread, mentioning that I am looking for someone doing it at home.

I thing you calling me Dude has something to do with me doing something stupid.

If you rode my messages, you would see that I am NOT looking for any of the people you are suggesting me, who posts ads as those are not people doing it at home.

But, the fact that you didn't see that I have changed my mind as the thread goes on, proves my decision to make a new one is not "dudesque".

So, please can you put the second one back?

piaptk

Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:35 am

No. This thread is sufficient. I made a note above that you are no longer looking for best quality. Good luck in your search.
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

piaptk

Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:42 am

All of the options above are people who “do this at home”. Do you want somebody to “do this for free”?
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

socialroots

Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:51 pm

Free lunch n its got to be home cooked n in europe!
Maximum respect for trying!
Patrick

MEGAMIKE

Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:01 am

amazing.... pot calling the kettle black