Vinylrecorder stylus damage

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

punkrock

Vinylrecorder stylus damage

Fri May 24, 2019 4:37 am

Been cutting close to 7 years now using a Vinylrecorder, so much to learn and figure out yet... This might be a quite basic question, maybe you can help me:

Why do cutting stylus end up doing noisy cuts? Some of them can have some kind of tip damage, be worn out, etc... but others have no visible damage at all when I inspect them on the microscope. They look perfect, but all recordings will end up being noisy with them. Why? Modifying the stylus temperature will do nothing, cuts will be noisy...

Why?

Is there any way to know if a stylus is noisy without testing it?

trailerparkjesus

Re: Vinylrecorder stylus damage

Fri May 24, 2019 12:53 pm

You need a higher power scope to see the damage. If you put some cleaner on it then use a flashlight to shine the surface while looking under a scope youll see defects a little easier. Some defects/dullness of tip you need some real magnification

tragwag

Wed May 29, 2019 3:46 pm

if the stylus attracts or picks up some plastic bits it'll be noisy without being "damaged"
sometimes it takes a super cleaning while under the scope
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

punkrock

Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:40 pm

tragwag wrote:if the stylus attracts or picks up some plastic bits it'll be noisy without being "damaged"
sometimes it takes a super cleaning while under the scope
Normally whenever I do a cleaning, I do a “super cleaning”: microscope + Souri’s cleaning fluid + a precision “Olfa” PAPER cutter. Takes long but it’s worth it.

Strangest thing of all is that sometimes, stylus I had discarded because they where noisy later on were perfectly usable again. Can’t understand why.

2bitcomputer

Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:03 pm

punkrock wrote: Strangest thing of all is that sometimes, stylus I had discarded because they where noisy later on were perfectly usable again. Can’t understand why.
I've had this happen also.
My theory is that when you put the 'bad' stylus back in the head the stylus is in a slightly different position so the defect is no longer damaging the groove like it was.

These days when I start hearing noise from a stylus the first thing I do is actually rotate the head a little (in the vertical plane, but changing the horizontal angle might make a difference too) to see if the noise goes away.
Sometimes I can cut another 30 LPs by doing this...

tragwag

Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:04 pm

definitely! the stylus and head settings in the VR are very user based, hard to get a 100% placement time and again
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Discomo

Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:34 pm

This topic gets very interesting! :D