I want to buy some lathe cuts, who getting highest quality?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Reuben123

Re: I want to buy some lathe cuts, who getting highest quali

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:46 pm

I believe my question is objective and sound:
'How good can a durable lathe cut get in terms of accuracy, fidelity and frequency range?'

We all know what a good pressed record played on quality equipment sounds like.

My current understanding is that lathe cuts can't equal the frequency reproduction and accuracy of sound detail that a pressed record can.
My hypothesis is that the softer lacquer/acetate allows for a more accurate transfer of sound to groove than a diamond cutter into hard PVC. Is this right?

Some pretty good examples so far. But less high end compared to a pressed record to my ears on my studio monitors.

jonoaustin

Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:15 pm

Reuben123 wrote:I believe my question is objective and sound:
'How good can a durable lathe cut get in terms of accuracy, fidelity and frequency range?'

We all know what a good pressed record played on quality equipment sounds like.

My current understanding is that lathe cuts can't equal the frequency reproduction and accuracy of sound detail that a pressed record can.
My hypothesis is that the softer lacquer/acetate allows for a more accurate transfer of sound to groove than a diamond cutter into hard PVC. Is this right?

I don't believe so. I used to think that the sides may be captured less accurately, but after cutting and comparing with commercial records, I don't believe this any longer. The stereo image I get with my VR's is consistent with commercially pressed records.

Some pretty good examples so far. But less high end compared to a pressed record to my ears on my studio monitors.

The top is not a problem. Compared to digital sources, a record will not be the same...but this is true with all vinyl, not just lathe-cuts. And of course you'll suffer increasing diameter loss halfway through a 12" 33 1/3 record...same as with pressed records. But high frequencies? lathe-cut compared to pressed records - no difference. I will say that I could not find a software de-esser that could capture peaks without artifacts, so I moved exclusively to hardware eq and de-essing some time ago. Easy to preserve the top while handling nasty individual peaks. Without it I sometimes had to cut the top to prevent sss events from blowing up the cut. No longer.
Jon Niess
Austin Signal
https://www.austinsignal.com/retro

SueDenim

Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:20 pm

Reuben123 wrote:I moved exclusively to hardware eq and de-essing some time ago
What make/model of hardware EQ and De-esser do you use please?

Thanks.

jonoaustin

Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:14 pm

SueDenim wrote:
Reuben123 wrote:I moved exclusively to hardware eq and de-essing some time ago
What make/model of hardware EQ and De-esser do you use please?

Thanks.
Empirical Labs Lil Freq. great. a pair for each cutter. Extremely surgical with hi and lo shelves, great deesser and also a hf limiter. The only digital eq I use any more is for rolling off lo sides. All other is done with lil freq's
Jon Niess
Austin Signal
https://www.austinsignal.com/retro

Reuben123

Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:43 pm

So Jon, your assertion is essentially that a durable material lathe cut can equal a pressed record in sound quality.
Most opinions I have read online say there is a compromise over pressed records. But that some people are getting very close.

Interesting that you find the analogue hardware eq and de-esser superior to software processing. My studio is based on mostly 'out the box' analogue mixer, hardware eq's and compressor etc. Digital outboard also.

I started this thread thinking that experienced people would recommend which lathe cutters of durable one off records were getting the best sound quality. The audio examples from audio geography and Jon have been very informative.

Ultimately I will get some cuts done for very small runs and I was hoping to refine my search of who could give me the highest fidelity.

No-one really offered who may be achieving the best fidelity to their knowledge.

powerstrip

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:48 am

Reuben123 wrote:...It seems I would no longer be a productive musician if I owned a lathe due to costs, maintenance etc. Maybe time...
Tell that to

DJ Misjah, Dietrich Schoenemann, Quantic, ETC.

All those guys are highly respected and accomplished, world touring musicians, yet still have tremendous skill at cutting discs, Quantic especially, he is touring the world constantly, and producing amazing music in the process, while importing and restoring tons of vintage equipment.

Cutting discs is just another skill, depends on your dedication to it

fredbissnette

Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:58 pm

the cuts ive heard from the carvery are the best imo but thats just me
Instagram @styluspressurerecords

Reuben123

Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:26 am

fredbissnette wrote:the cuts ive heard from the carvery are the best imo but thats just me
God bless you man. Someone who answered the question. I thought I was going to be burned at the stake for a minute there.

I'll google carvery and see if they have audio examples. I wonder what gear they use?

misjah

Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:30 am

highest quality lathe: VMS80, VMS70 (with new amps and good head)....the end.

Reuben123

Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:27 pm

misjah wrote:highest quality lathe: VMS80, VMS70 (with new amps and good head)....the end.
So there are people offering one off lathe cut records from the top Neumann machines?
I thought they may just use them for acetate masters to save wear and tear and one off records wouldn't be worth their while compared to masters for pressings.

So 'Carvery' use the top Neumann lathes?

misjah

Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:28 am

Reuben123 wrote:
misjah wrote:highest quality lathe: VMS80, VMS70 (with new amps and good head)....the end.
So there are people offering one off lathe cut records from the top Neumann machines?
I thought they may just use them for acetate masters to save wear and tear and one off records wouldn't be worth their while compared to masters for pressings.

So 'Carvery' use the top Neumann lathes?
From the website it looks like Carvery has a standard VMS70....I did lots of one off cuts on "vinyl" on my vms70.....not too keen on it anymore though...too busy with cutting master lacquers