Lacquer disc coating and raw materials.

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Maistrow

Lacquer disc coating and raw materials.

Thu May 07, 2009 5:45 pm

Hello Trolls, I thought I'd just throw this out there, but I have several formulas for lacquer disc manufacturing. These are Nitro-cellulose lacquer formulas that my father had created in the late 40's for a company that manufacturing blank discs for cutting. I also have the formulas for the thinners that go along with the lacquers and a list of the raw material suppliers. I know something of this nature is only usable in a large manufacturing plant environment.

markrob

Re: Lacquer disc coating and raw materials.

Fri May 08, 2009 2:42 am

Maistrow wrote:Hello Trolls, I thought I'd just throw this out there, but I have several formulas for lacquer disc manufacturing. These are Nitro-cellulose lacquer formulas that my father had created in the late 40's for a company that manufacturing blank discs for cutting. I also have the formulas for the thinners that go along with the lacquers and a list of the raw material suppliers. I know something of this nature is only usable in a large manufacturing plant environment.
Hi,

I think this info could be useful to DIY'ers like myself. I know some here have experimented with coatings of this nature. I guess it depends how involved the formula and mixing process is. Can you post some info here or is too much involved?

flozki

Fri May 08, 2009 9:17 am

hello. it would be great if you can make it public domain. or at least publish one or two receipts. i think to get some formulas as a starting point would be great. also from a historic point of view. i think for conservation of old laquer disks this is important information.

if you need a place to host the information. or have no time to publish. i am happy to put in on my website and opening a chapter. laquer production.

thanks
f.

Maistrow

Fri May 08, 2009 12:26 pm

The formulas do not work for any type of DIY situation. Many of the raw materials used in the formula are not available to the public. Also, some of the materials are highly volatile and can be dangerous or harmful if misused and I would not want to harm anyone. It takes great skill and training to work with something of this nature. Also, the formulas are proprietary information. They are under patent and not available for public domain. obviously something of this nature can only be used in a large controlled manufacturing environment. Perhaps there may be some investors that may be interested in something like this.

Aussie0zborn

Fri May 08, 2009 1:09 pm

Hmmm.... I see. So this is about money. I hate to be the one to tell you this but there is NO MONEY in vinyl records - people do it because they LOVE the format and we like the idea of keeping vinyl alive. You should join us!

If you had ever visited Transco to see how lacquer discs are made, producing these commercially would require a very big investment. Your formulas are nearly sixty years old and Im sure that advancements in the last sixty years would reduce any appeal from investors.

May we know which company produced lacquer discs from these formulas?

All the best in your endeavours. If you ever change your mind, you know where we are and as you can see from the responses already and the forum in general, any technical information regarding vinyl records is always appreciated here.

All the best.

motorino

Fri May 08, 2009 11:28 pm

Maistrow wrote:The formulas do not work for any type of DIY situation.
Yes, its obvius, but all information about its very well welcome my friend, this site its for contribute and help :wink:

If you have some questions about cutting, techniques, etc feel free to ask! A very good people and vinyl cutting lovers here to help you

If you know some lacquer formulations... please explain here :roll:

blacknwhite

Sat May 09, 2009 7:42 am

Maistrow,

I already posted the most basic ingredients and how-to make your own lacquers... here's the link... but of course, any additional info you can add would be much appreciated by everyone including myself:

HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN LAQUER BLANK DISCS
https://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?t=783&highlight=&mforum=lathetrolls

- Bob

thomas

Sat May 09, 2009 12:59 pm

ron hello?

Cutterwoller

Wed May 13, 2009 12:06 pm

I hate all this bullshit about not giving out "secret recipies". Just like Nuemann wouldnt give out any information about thier cutter heads. And now people struggle with them. And laqcuer formulas are kept secret. Fair enough in the 50's because it was big money then, but now?

L

flozki

Wed May 13, 2009 2:18 pm

i think if the formulas are from the 40ies or 50ies the ip (patent) protection is long gone. so they are even published somewhere...its just hard to find them.
i think the main interest is historic. to understand the different formulas. and as i said for archive or restauration people it would be good. so archives with lots of laquers could understand whats best way to store the laquers. or to preserve them.

commercially there is no money to get.

blacknwhite

Wed May 13, 2009 7:07 pm

Flo, you mentioned that the chemical analysis of the old (1950s) lacquer formulas would be of historic value for preservation.... that's where I got the info for the how-to instructions I posted. That's the only info I ever found, and I talked to a number of lacquer disc preservationists too.

But the article was written with the aid of chemists, studying many different brands of discs, so I trust that the nitro lacquer & castor oil were the only "important" ingredients.

I scoured the US patent database for info, looking through all kinds of searches like "recording blanks", etc., and still, couldn't find any. But I'm ordering a technical book from Amazon with specific instructions for engineers and lawyers of the best ways to search the patent database, so I'll try again after I get that:

Patent Searching Made Easy: How to Do Patent Searches on the Internet & in the Library
http://www.amazon.com/Patent-Searching-Made-Easy-Searches/dp/1413310362/ref=wl_it_dp

- Bob
Last edited by blacknwhite on Wed May 13, 2009 7:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Aussie0zborn

Wed May 13, 2009 7:10 pm

hmmmmmmmm