T560 Modifications - What have you done?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

David34

T560 Modifications - What have you done?

Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:22 am

Hey all..

I have a T560 - Great machine, very happy with cuts.

I still can't help but think there are some common modifications that could be made to the machine, which I understand MAY not make a HUGE difference, but being the nature of the beast and me having OCD,
These are the things I have so far modified:

-Replaced Souri RCA for gold plated good quality ones
-We had a hum in low end (50-70hz) in a silent groove, found the source to be a "piggy-backed" power supply to both Speed controller and Stylus heating, removed and each have their own power supply (I started a thread on this here: https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6826

Things that I would like to mod/improve:

- Souri small mixer, Gain is all the way up and glued? I would like to remove this mixer but not sure how to bypass?
- Replace ALL RCA connectors to proper pro audio connectors

I would love to hear what you guys and gals have done to improve your cuts and your T560. We can all learn and improve by helping each other.

So, if you have made a significant modification, please let us know - add a picture so we all can see! Show us your pride and joy!

David34

Re: T560 Modifications - What have you done?

Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:24 am

OH!! And now i ONLY USE 2mm Souri blank discs. I don't use 1.5mm anymore. Much flatter.

I also purchased the platter from Souri. No wow and flutter - big improvement.

TheCrates

Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:38 am

Hi,

in case you missed it, if you use the search option youll find almost every mod useful for the t560. It was very helpful for me too.
Check out the ole cats, they know how to max out this machine: duophonic, vinylrec, dr-dub (germany and austria).

I doubt anybody will tell his secrets, but if you look close on their setup -and youre a bit talented, you'll see what they are after with the mods.

Starting with a sp10 for torque, wisa 1000 / rietschle thomas vte vaccuum pump, yasunaga /hi-blow aquarium pump, arduino automation with stepper motors, replacing mixer, updating cables, adding 19'' eq, desser, compressor, and adding another cutting head.

As you mentioned, the machine is a real gem for the price and it has a lot of potential to do cuts, which are not comparable with high end cuts, but way way good enough for cutting down stuff for the semi pro area.

Cheers,
Crates

handcut

Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:14 pm

Well, the whole set-up is all racked & flight cased now, so it's kind of portable. Replaced all cutting electronics with stuff I've built myself (lots of valves/vacuum tubes and trannies), except for the heater & pitch control. Working on a high torque, 5-speed turntable and various bits of automation... and an LPI meter for shits & giggles. Spending a bit too much time cutting to make any real progress at the moment though... Probably switch the head at some point... Would REALLY love to ditch the vacuum. Really.

If you ditch one thing from the set up, ditch the DJ mixer. It's shite.

2bitcomputer

Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:04 am

Howdy,

First thing I did was to hook up a millivolt meter to the motor speed control jack on the back of the main unit so I could get more information on what groove distance I was using. At the same time I also hooked up a ten turn pot with the meter so I could accurately set the groove distance - I didn't like all the guess work involved in trying to set the groove distance with the sticker/dial/pot that came with it. :?
I got a little box and made a face plate and stuck everything inside.
It's not very pretty
mVolt meter.jpg
but I find it very helpful!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TheCrates

Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:26 am

Nice one, never thought about this one, can see your mod on the heating too!

tragwag

Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:12 pm

Nice! Bypassing the mixer is easy if you disregard the ability to playback while cutting.
My chain goes like this (basically):
computer->audio interface->main unit (includes RIAA)->level meter->power amp

add: I would love to replace the RCA's too, but I'm not too savvy or steady of hand.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

2bitcomputer

Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:34 am

Yes.
I did the stylus heater also.
It's harder than the pitch motor. You have to go in and modify the circuit to get the same kind of access/control.
You can see them both in this picture:
heater.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David34

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:42 pm

Wow!

That's some great insight into what can be done!

I want to be able to monitor in/out signals in a waveform to see them side by side. I have been using software Ozone Insight to do this.

What are you guys using to monitor signals in/out - other than your ears. I do like the visual waveform also.

I am keen to get rid of this crumby mixer before it dies, but also like to A-B the audio, and monitoring is essential! Any ideas? I'm not into electronics either, I'm a music producer.

Really like seeing some of these rigs!

David34

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:50 pm

PS: When I searched T560 Mods all I got was my post and two others??

What should I be searching for - those users names and posts?

David34

Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:59 am

Any insight into removing Souris mixer?

To my knowledge it is only for A-B'ing?? (Monitoring??)

Ben

Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:46 pm

Hey there,

On my Interface I have 4 stereo outputs .... 1-2 goes directly from my daw to Souri's RIAA and 3-4 is my monitoring that goes in the mixer on the same channel than my turntable.... In pro tools the same audio is going into the 2 masterbus (1-2 and 3-4) which are identical ... so I can still monitor from the turntable and protools but the signal that goes into the cutterhead... is not touching the mixer... which is a good news.

It's just a little bit tricky to set your levels, you need to be a little more meticulous.

But I can testify that since the mixer and the rca splitter are out of the recording chain ... the sound is better and it's audible.

descent

Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:13 pm

Hello!

Yes, Ben that's a great idea!

So, the leveling is completely controlled by your DAW and audio device.

David34

Mon May 01, 2017 3:37 am

It baffles me in Souris system why there is a volume on the mixer (fader up and down), a "blue tacked" PFL (Monitor) level dial and another volume level on the Main unit.

Shouldn't it just be volume to Source/volume to pickup (monitor)?

handcut

Mon May 01, 2017 5:11 am

David34 wrote:It baffles me in Souris system why there is a volume on the mixer (fader up and down), a "blue tacked" PFL (Monitor) level dial and another volume level on the Main unit.

Shouldn't it just be volume to Source/volume to pickup (monitor)?
Hey, don't forget the attenuator on the back of the main unit! I think this is why so many people run into problems with distortion early on - baffling gain staging. A cheap DJ mixer with permanently maxed-out gain in the signal path is not going to do anybody any favours.

Once a signal leaves a DAC, it's really important to know what's what voltage-wise and that is really difficult to do with this system because nothing is measured properly, so you're kind of feeling around in the dark. That's the main reason I ditched the electronics and built my own. Well, that and not wanting to do things completely 'in the box'.

David34

Mon May 08, 2017 6:33 pm

Yeah I have played around with attenuator too..

Is the little mixer solely there for the Phono input? As in some sort of phono converter ??

I am baffled as to why it is in the chain at all? Especially as the gain is maxed out - this is always a no-no in dj'ing and generally audio.

I am considering getting an electrician to make up a 19" rack box for A/B'ing source and stylus cuts. Remove mixer altogether..

Thoughts ??