Staticide for anti-static?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Ben

Staticide for anti-static?

Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:08 pm

Hey Guys,
Hope everyone is well !!

I'm curious to know, anyone ever used something like that for cutting before the wax or after the cut... anything?
http://www.aclstaticide.com/general_purpose_staticide.html

I'm very curious if it could help to remove static from blanks and/or equipments

Cheers
Ben

handcut

Re: Staticide for anti-static?

Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:05 pm

Hi Ben,

Did you read the datasheet? Its just the usual blend of deionised water, alcohol & surfactants. Nothing special.

Ben

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:29 pm

Hey hand cut,

Thanks a lot for the answer, when I saw ""Quaternary ammonium compounds.... I told myself "Wtf is that...'' better to ask on the forum...lol

Thanks a lot for taking the time to check, I really appreciate!!!

Cheers
Ben

handcut

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:39 pm

Ben wrote:Quaternary ammonium compounds....
Well, its worth noting that (after falling down a huge rabbit hole this evening) that particular variety of surfactant is cationic (positive ions) which may actually work in our favour in the battle against static. Some surfactants are anionic (negative ions) and may exacerbate the problem. It seems that washing-up liquid (dish soap) is more likely to be anionic sufactants because they produce more foam! So, perhaps washing-up liquid is best substituted for a different detergent variety that contains cationic surfactants. I should probably go to bed...

Ben

Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:29 pm

Oh wow, that's interesting....

Fabric softeners are cationic.... that would definitely make my records smell great...lolol

Cheers

handcut

Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:23 am

Yes, as are the more 'industrial' end of the detergent spectrum, where cleaning power is more important than foaming power! It seems cationic detergents also have greater antimicrobial properties, so your records will also be free from most bacterial, fungal & viral infections.

Ben

Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:15 am

Hey hand cut,
Thanks for the precious knowledge...
It's very interesting to see the composition of different product...

I'll definitely take a look at this and experiment with old scrap records.

Cheers

tragwag

Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:04 pm

seems neat! let us know the progress (and thanks for the investigation and insight) :D
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Ben

Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:38 am

Right on, of course I'll do some experimentation and let you know the results...

So far the cationic thing is working... I did a mix of isoproyl, tiny bit of softener and distilled water and I just tried to damp a cloth a little bit... on my platter ... not wet just a little bit... and when I put a blank discs after it spins for a while... there's no more charge build up.
I don't know on long term if it can mess up or the plastic or the platter... but one thing I know ... softener are not the healthiest thing in the world and I can feel in my lungs that it's a little irritating.

But it definitely reduce the static charge for sure.

cheers

SueDenim

Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:53 am

Thanks for that Ben.
I'm very interested in this so would you mind giving us a little more info please?

e.g. what were the rough measurements of isopropyl alcohol to fabric softener to distilled water in your mix?

Cheers!

Ben

Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:29 pm

Hey SueDenim,
I just cut a record this morning and I can confirm that it works.... just sprayed a little bit of it on a cloth and rub the platter and also the protective film of the disk...so when I remove the plastic film there's zero charge on it... Thanks to handcut and his explanation about cationic and nonionic and all that stuff.

To answer your question I used 8oz distilled water, 1 big table spoon of softner and maybe 1 table spoon and a half of isopropyl alcool 99%. I also sprayed it on the floor where I cut because there's freaking industrial carpet... and it really help to zero static charge. It funny I even realize that depending of which shoes I'm wearing the static is different.... Macbeth and Vans ...all the way :D :D

Cheers

2bitcomputer

Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:07 pm

I've used Staticide and found it to be pretty effective at eliminating static. I don't think I've ever dropped a chip after using it.
It drys pretty clean - I just wipe a thin rainbow-y coat on the spinning blank, watch it evaporate, check the temperature, and then cut.
And a gallon lasts a loooong time...

Ben

Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:13 pm

Oh! Interesting !
You use it as a replacement of the wax?

2bitcomputer

Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:22 pm

I have never used Turtle Wax.
I cut on a vinyl recorder so in the beginning I used the anti-static stuff that came with it.
When that ran out I switched to Staticide.

handcut

Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:44 am

Yes, be careful breathing that shit in. IPA is bad enough on its own. If you're using high-percent preparations, you should wear gloves - you really don't want it on your skin. QAC's will not usually evaporate unless they're attached to something, but they are caustic.

Ben

Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:44 pm

Thanks Hand cut,
Exactly... I felt the irritation in my lungs at first when I used it like a madman... :evil:
so it's to use with caution.... and ventilated space... and gloves.

I'm in a huge catholic church...converted into a studio... so it's good for the bad spirits...hahaha!!

2bitcomputer

Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:07 am

Here are the labels:
label1.jpg
label2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.