http://www.vinylium.ch - Anyone ever deal with the company..

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Osmose

http://www.vinylium.ch - Anyone ever deal with the company..

Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:30 pm

directly?? Wanted to get a dub cut on the vinyl dubcutter to hear how it sounds. Is this a reputable company?? I'm leery of anyone who only accepts wire transfers as the only mode of payment.

bancho

Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:44 am

heh... if you would check old posts then you'd know.
I think every one who has bought the cutter must have dealt with the company. and many others. It is the only company on earth which makes new professional cutting equipment. ...so probably they are reliable. :)
...anyway, I've never ordered anything (yet) from them but I was interested in some equipment and they were very friendly and immediately ready to help.

did you send them any mail? I think you can also call them and ask whatever you want.

flozki - a member here - is the founding father of the company. ask him if you don't believe me.

Osmose

Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 pm

I sent them an email yesterday about getting something cut...still waiting to hear back. I'll search up some topics on them here.

Osmose

Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:05 pm

Communication is pretty sparse.........

flozki

Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:45 pm

hey. communication is a little difficult it seems. forget to get someone on the phone....sometimes trying many times..you will get jvo on the phone. but he is half time traveling and fixing lathes.
email works best. but they are around around. but it is not unusual if it takes a week or so, to get a reply....

try
info@vinylium.ch

best way to get in contact.

normally you place an order. then pay half of the money and you get a shipping date. when ready pay the rest and they ship or you pick up. depending where you are.

the company is serious. even if it doesnt look so..hehe.

Osmose

Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:09 pm

Talking with Andre, but he doesn't really get back to me in any kind of timely fashion. I can understand being busy, but it doesn't require much time to respond to an email. I work in an extremely busy high-end post production studio...I still respond to clients emails within the hour (while booked with other clients) and potential clients @ the end of day. I am not really 100% comfortable dropping $7K on a machine with a company that is extremely slow to respond to a dialogue that is in progress or doesn't respond back when they say they will. It also leaves run for concern if you need some maintence ASAP with the system. Not bashing the company here, just some decent business protocol would be nice.

I would like to find someone in the USA that has the cutter and the SC-99 head / Diamond Stylus, so I can have a dub cut to hear how this sounds. A test press from them is way to pricey with a bank transfer fee & overseas shipping. Does anyone on here have the system??

From the website it's not really clear what comes with the system...head, stylus ...etc. Would be cool to see some pics of the back of the box as well as some specs...

Do you work for the company flozki??

MEGAMIKE

Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:42 am

MEGAMIKE

Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:48 am

i emailed vinylium and got nothing.. . i then emailed souri (vinylrecorder)and got a lathe in 6 weeks ..(but i had to go to germany)....

motorino

Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:48 pm

I knows Flo and André and i know sometimes have a lot of work, a lot, very good guys and sound, wait

i have test cuts from viniylium, i believe the best test that i have, wait, its a important decision

flozki

Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:20 am

im still close to vinylium and go in and out from time to time. but i dont earn any money if they sell a cutter or not.

if they reply emails or not and how fast i dont know.but i guess they do. if you sent to the correct adress and if they dont hang in the spam filter.
if you want to make sure.send old skool fax....

as far as i know everybody who ordered a cutter received a cutter...
1. fill out the form. pay the money and you receive a cutter for sure.
they are more than happy to sell you one.
also pick up works well. make an apointment and you can walk out with your cutter.

for a test cut normally people send in a tune to cut.
vinylium charged around $40 bucks or so i dont know the exact price, but this amount was paid back if people bought a cutter then.

normally we did cut one side with a classical neumann setup sx-74,vms70 , and the other side with the kingston cutter vc200 amps and sc99. and without any processing. that means straight from cd into the kingston vc200 amps.
so then you have quite a good comparison.
and i can tell you there is not too much to hide. for sure you get a little more in high end with 550 watts per channel and helium cooling. but the difference is not that big....for the additional $20'000...

i personally use both sx74 and sc99 head. depending on the sound and amps i swap between the heads.

also about the quality you have not to worry there are many professional customers using same head for professional mastering.

for example

[url]http://sds-rpm.timetobeat.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=59:dieter-ilg-bass&catid=1:aktuelle-projekte&Itemid=50[/url]

it is a german article but maybe you recognize the head....

and there are many more, even on this forum using sc99 for professional mastering. basically the same head, just investing more time to match the coils and stuff....

the weak part of the cutter is the technics turntable. if you cut a lot of stuff on a daily business. i suggest upgrading to a better lathe or use a sp10. keep the mechanics and the head and use a better lathe.
but you can do good stuff with the original set up no question.

also you can cut vinyl discs and and other material if you use the diamond stylus. the limit is just the turntable motor from the technics....

if you dont manage to get a testcut i can pm you a list of kingston cutters so you can ask someone else to cut you a plate if you are in a hurry...

f.

piaptk

Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:06 pm

I wired Vinylium money a month ago for diamond styli, and they still haven't responded to several emails... it's really frustrating whne you send $700 out into the void and no one lets you know they got it and when/if they are going to send you what you paid for...
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

cymbalism

Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:38 pm

piaptk wrote:I wired Vinylium money a month ago for diamond styli, and they still haven't responded to several emails... it's really frustrating whne you send $700 out into the void and no one lets you know they got it and when/if they are going to send you what you paid for...
ouch, i was just getting ready to order another one to replace the one i had that died after 15 cuts. i really can't afford to take a $350 hit - especially when i need a new stylus asap to do some jobs.

have you heard anything back at all piaptk?
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

piaptk

Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:06 am

No< I haven't heard back from them... I sent a fax yesterday and daytime has come and gone in Switzerland since and nothing. I'll be pretty damn pissed if I don't get at least 100 cuts out of them (if I ever get them), and even then, $3.50 a single is kind of stupid. Luckily for you, the European economy has taken a serious downturn since I ordered and the Swiss Franc is down about 15% from a month ago, so you'll save some money. Unfortunately, they charge $35 for shipping! Of a 2 oz box? Plus you have to pay $25-40 in wire transfer fees because they don't accept Paypal.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

andybee

Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:51 pm

piaptk

Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:22 am

After sending a fax, an email and leaving a phone message all in one day, Andre emailed me this morning to tell me that they were shipping today.
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

cymbalism

Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:56 am

good to hear my friend! i still have not had any sort of confirmation about the stylus i ordered and its been like 4 days.
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings