VMS 82 DMM Lead Screw Delay Issue when start cutting

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

s13t0ttz

VMS 82 DMM Lead Screw Delay Issue when start cutting

Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:18 pm

Hello All,

I service two lathes that are right next to each other. Lathe 1 and Lathe 2. Recently, Lathe 2 has started having an issue when "dropping" the cutting head and when it cuts a lock-out groove. Sometimes it sounds horrible. It definitely looks horrible. Now, one thing that I observed between the two lathes is the delay of the lead screw from when the cutter head is "dropped" with the lever to when the lead screw starts rotating again.

Lathe 1 starts up again almost instantly. Lathe 2 on the other hand does not. On Lathe 1 it is possible to see the actual initiation of the groove, where the stylus started cutting. On Lathe 2, you cannot. The stylus cuts into its previous groove.

Is there any way to adjust this with a pot on one of the cards? I really hope so!

Here are two videos showing the timing difference between the two lathes.

Lathe 1 - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mji ... TRZalpWbVU

Lathe 2 - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mji ... jlVamZlVVE

If anyone knows or is able to point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated! If you need any further information from me in order to better understand or help me with a solution, please do not hesitate to let me know!

Sincerely,
Thor

diamone

Re: VMS 82 DMM Lead Screw Delay Issue when start cutting

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:16 pm

File not found.
2 Kinds of Men/Records: Low Noise & Wide Range. LN is mod. fidelity, cheap, & easy. WR is High Fidelity & Abrasive to its' Environment. Remember that when you encounter a Grumpy Engineer. (:-D)