vinylrecorder precision plate measurements

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

l_ca

vinylrecorder precision plate measurements

Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:47 pm

hi trolls,
is there any Vinylrecorder users that uses Souri's Precision Plate on his technics sl 1200 MK2 ?
i would try to make a replica, so it would be really great if someone could post some photos of it’s inner side and some measurements…
endless thanks!

luca

drdub

Re: vinylrecorder precision plate measurements

Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:51 am

so you want to copy a product that is still sold by the manufacturer and ask people in public for the measurements ?
satan spins vinyl

*** www.drdub.com ***

l_ca

Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:33 am

Hello drdub, i think yours it’s just one way to see this request… i don’t think Souri invented the concept of precision plate, just makes ones that fit on technics sl 1200 MK2… even if I don’t see the problem, at last i think all DIY project in this forum takes existing product as point of start.

in my specific case i’ve got a second-hand equipment, my first step was contact Souri, he was kind but no way to access his upgrade without pay a lot, second step was asking in this forum if someone had this equipment for sale but nothing. than i make my own steel precision plate (& precision motor) but the plate i’ve designed is too high, so instead of proceeding empirically (it cost me time & money) to understand where to remove material to fit the plate on the technics i’ve asked people in public for the measurements.

that's all, (unfortunately) I don't think that this gesture will destroy capitalism,
cheers!

Luca

Bahndahn

Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:44 am

I believe it is trivial to need measurements on this part, because you can make or have one made over a wide variety of dimensions and it should work well provided it: can accommodate a belt [if you are going that route], and it does not collide with any parts on your turntable [particularly the tonearm apparatus].

If you make it, you will need to get a disk cut out in a precise way. From there, you will need to lap it on a granite reference surface or scrape it by identifying the high spots with a granite reference surface. These are easy to do once your there, but it takes some amount of time to get right. Use soft lapping compound for aluminium, as you don't want the plate to become a lap for your disks..

Other things to note will be checking for parallelism, and checking for concentricity.

Could make a fun project.