Best Settings for Bayer Makrolon Discs

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

MightyRecords

Best Settings for Bayer Makrolon Discs

Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:38 pm

Hello Trolls!

I am a VR T560 user, and I recently got transparent 12" discs cut using 2mm Bayer Makrolon GP. I am getting a high amount of surface noise, even with a new stylus. I have tried different weights, blank heating, and stylus heating, but still cannot cut a quiet groove. I was wondering if anyone with a similair set-up had any suggestions? What weight and heats do you use?

Thanks in advance, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrew

studiorp

Re: Best Settings for Bayer Makrolon Discs

Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:19 pm

For reduce the noise during cutting process, I use on polycarbonate before to start to cut wood spray with beeswax. Try !

SUNBEARS

Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:30 pm

Honestly, just don't worry yourself with trying to make your own blanks. It's not cost effective enough! - Aside from that, The Shank has as superior blank. Vouching hard for him here. Truly, longest stylus life and quietest groove with minimal heat.

That being said, if you're going to stick with PC, I would check out opcode66's Plastic Cutting Guide. Follow it to a T and you should get great results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dGU79-1DYM

Make sure the bottom of your cutterhead is perpendicular to the surface of the blank.

Cheers,
J
Berlin is a Mastering Engineer and Multidisciplinary Artist based at The Loft Studio, Los Angeles, CA

SUNBEARS

Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:12 pm

And by perpendicular, I actually mean the exact opposite. Wow, sorry about that. Bottom of the cutterhead should be PARALLEL to the surface of the disc. Oof.

Cheers,
J
Berlin is a Mastering Engineer and Multidisciplinary Artist based at The Loft Studio, Los Angeles, CA

studiorp

Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm

Check too the cutting pressure and angle of cut.

MightyRecords

Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:15 pm

Thanks so much for your responses.

SUNBEARS when you say "Bottom of the cutterhead should be PARALLEL", are you talking about the diamond stylus or the metal cutterhead?

Should the stylus be positioned like A or B in this drawing?
Screen Shot 2016-01-08 at 3.13.27 PM.png

Studiorp, what pressure (weight) do you use for plastic?

I really appreciate the help.

Cheers,

Andrew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

studiorp

Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:46 pm

Hi, the figure A is right; you must see the reflection of your cutting stylus on surface disk; your stylus must be vertical than disk, near 90 degrees.

About the weight of cutting pressure, this depend from head that you have; don't exist a value for all heads. when you start to cut on disk, you must "hear" a silent groove, but in the same time it must be deep, otherwise you will have tracking problems, so don't exagerate with pressure. For do this adjustment, better use a tonearm while cut on disk.

sat159p1

Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:34 am

studiorp wrote:Hi, the figure A is right; you must see the reflection of your cutting stylus on surface disk; your stylus must be vertical than disk, near 90 degrees.
My figure is towrds "B" than "A" or something maybe ideal in between. Of course when cutterhead is flat 180* to the disc. The slot for stylus in VRS is not 90* to the disc, and the stylus bought from myshank and souris are different heights so they can't be ideal 90* to the surface. Every time I set this is slightly different but never like "A" - pic below form today cutting session.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ilovethelawrencearms

Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:59 am

So do some of you cut at close to 90 degrees with Makrolon? I have been having similar issues with surface noise, cant seem to pinpoint what is going on. Everything was working great before.