considerations when choosing a cutting amp

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

smithadamm

considerations when choosing a cutting amp

Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:50 pm

I'm looking down the road and predict in the future I'll probably have to move away from my 70's solid state cutting amps to something else. That is to say, some day they will fail in a catastrophic way that will make them to expensive to fix, or at the least, they will take a long time to fix. So, I'm figuring it will be better to have an amp in the closet for the day that happens than to wait till that happens and try to track down an amp. So, I'm looking for a set of backup amps. I'm looking to some hi-fi amps and the like to keep costs down, since these will just be for backups. I'm even considering building some tube monoblocks since I have time to get this done. I'm trying to figure out what I should be looking for.

The pre-amp, RIAA filters and feedback electronics are in another unit that has a normal high z output. So, by my estimation, I just need between 60 and 200 watts of clean power, with an output z of between 8 and 16 ohms (for a cutter coil at around 10.2ohms of DCR). The amps should have a speaker protection fuse inline, and that is about it. I'm assuming some kind of damping in the amp to keep the circuit stable, but those kinds of things are always included. I'm sure I could just experiment with different amps, but it always does good to check in with you guys.

So, basically I'm just looking for two big, clean amps. Is there something I'm missing here?

studiorp

Re: considerations when choosing a cutting amp

Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:44 pm

Which lathe and cutting head do you have to power ?

smithadamm

Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:55 pm

studiorp wrote:Which lathe and cutting head do you have to power ?
Haeco SC-2 on a Scully

Maistrow

Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:39 pm

What type of amps do you have? If they are somewhat current, and something was too go wrong with them,
I don't think the electronic parts to fix the amps would be too expensive.