ASTATIC X-26

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

studiorp

ASTATIC X-26

Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:29 pm

Hello people , what type of needle can mount an ASTATIC cristal head cutter ?

Where I can buy the needles ?

Thanks.

emorritt

Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:42 pm

These use a short shank cutting stylus which are available from apollo masters.

studiorp

Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:31 am

emorritt wrote:These use a short shank cutting stylus which are available from apollo masters.
It is possible mount on this head a diamond needle for to cut vinyl hard disks and not acetate ?
Thanks.

JayDC

Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:42 am

maybe if you could find one of the correct size.

studiorp

Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:51 am

JayDC wrote:maybe if you could find one of the correct size.

West Tech Services have these needles : Steel at $10, Stellite at $25 and a Saphire at $60.
I must too receive an answer from them about diamond stylus.

emorritt

Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:55 am

The X-26 isn't heavy enough to cut plastic. You need at least a low end magnetic cutter that has enough weight to cut into the plastic. You might get away with X-ray film or plastic dinner plates, but not the polycarbonate discs a lot of people are offering. Even if you added weight, I'm not sure what kind of frequency response you would get cutting plastic with a crystal cutter. Plastic discs are notorious for poor mid-high/high response because of their resistance to cutting (they're much harder than lacquer) - I have samples of 'club' music I received from an equipment manufacturer in Europe that sound very good, but lack the high end that a lacquer or a pressing would have. I've also cut poly myself and between poly or a lacquer, I'd take the lacquer any day for quality purposes.

studiorp

Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:18 am

emorritt wrote:The X-26 isn't heavy enough to cut plastic. You need at least a low end magnetic cutter that has enough weight to cut into the plastic. You might get away with X-ray film or plastic dinner plates, but not the polycarbonate discs a lot of people are offering. Even if you added weight, I'm not sure what kind of frequency response you would get cutting plastic with a crystal cutter. Plastic discs are notorious for poor mid-high/high response because of their resistance to cutting (they're much harder than lacquer) - I have samples of 'club' music I received from an equipment manufacturer in Europe that sound very good, but lack the high end that a lacquer or a pressing would have. I've also cut poly myself and between poly or a lacquer, I'd take the lacquer any day for quality purposes.

Can I use diamond for to cut plastic discs or I must use sapphire stylus ?