Hagerman (Hagtech) Bugle phono preamp?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Steve E.
Site Admin

Hagerman (Hagtech) Bugle phono preamp?

Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:39 pm

Has anyone tried this?

http://www.hagtech.com/bugle.html

I'm curious about it. Sounds intriguing.

Sterophile/Fremer review on site:

"Because the Bugle uses a split, passive RC-type equalization network, it's easy to optimize it for alternative EQ curves suach as pre-1955 LPs or 78s. Hagerman calls this AnyEQ; you'll find everything you'll need to calculate resistor values for various curves at http://www.hagtech.com/equalization.html. "

I'm still interested in the BBE rewire as proposed by MarkRob:

https://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?t=2564&mforum=lathetrolls

(This thread can get moved into "Playback" eventually.)

markrob

Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:11 pm

Hi Steve,

Seems nice. It is a bit easier to setup for different turnovers, but you will still need to switch parts to change curves. Just makes the calculation for the values easier. Not sure I like the battery supply, but you could easily add your own external supply.

A flat gain stage with the EQ in software is by far the easiest and most flexible, but the analog op-amp based approach is probably better sounding if you are the audiophile type.

Mark

audadvnc

Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:34 pm

Heh, I got a chuckle over that guy's line, "If you truly want to go it alone, you can. I offer up my intellectual property..." I guess he must have invented both the RIAA curve and the op amp.

cohearent

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:23 pm

I still blame Hagerman for the whole "4th pole debacle". This is the idea, based on heresay, that the roll off in cutting systems somewhere above 50kHz needs to be compensated for in playback preamps. Hagerman attributes it to a guy named Allen Wright, who said it is in some Neumann manual, somewhere. Not any that I have! Who would design a preamp based on heresay??? Soon all the new "audiophile" preamps had it.

All disk cutting systems are rolled off somewhere over 50kHz. This is to keep the amps stable and prevent them from picking up things like AM radio. There is no standard for the frequency or number of poles (often 3). Mine doesn't start to roll off until 100kHz. Arbitrarily putting in a 4th pole at 50kHz creates more errors than it fixes.

I notice this new one doesn't have it so I guess he got the message. (But you can still find the other one on his site.)
Kevin Gray

audadvnc

Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:00 am

cohearent wrote: All disk cutting systems are rolled off somewhere over 50kHz. This is to keep the amps stable and prevent them from picking up things like AM radio.
Reminds me of a story an old Bell Telephone guy once told me. Seems in the 1950's Radio Luxemborg installed a new, high-power AM transmitter - and people in town started calling in complaining about picking up the station - on their toasters! The "Luxemborg effect" as it was called in those days was due to dirty or semi-corroded electrical and other metal-to-meal connections in household appliances, that acted like diodes when impinged upon by radio waves. The sides of the toasters turned into resonant pickups.