microscope needed for my scully

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

dubwize

microscope needed for my scully

Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:15 pm

Greetings lathetrolls!

Can anyone help me i need a microscope for my scully, what type do i need ? And does anyone have 1 available. I recently bought a usb microscope, but does not do the job it needs to be too close to laquer to get a half decent view infact it has to touch laquer.

Any help is greatly apreciated!

[/img]

leo gonzalez

Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:39 am

hi dubwize.

the microscope that i've seen on almost every scully, and perhaps the one that came by default from factory, was made by an american brand named spencer.

you can do an ebay search and many will come up. the problem is that most spencer scopes from that time were 3 objective scopes.

the original one on the scully is a single objetive monocular scope.

check this out:
http://www.xmission.com/~psneeley/Personal/Microscope.htm

do you have the original microscope base and arm extension?

dubwize

Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:37 pm

Thanks
Leo, yes i do have the original arm extension

audadvnc

Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:49 pm

The Spencer microscope is just like a Bausch & Lomb, Zeiss or Leitz of the same era; the same microscope body is found on the basic lab microscope of the same era. Spencer was bought out by American Optical (AO), which rebadged the Spencer scope & supplied Scully's later models. You can find perhaps 200 examples on the Dreaded right now. The trick will be to work out an appropriate mount; if your lathe doesn't have that mount built in you'll have to improvise.