Oldschool RIAA

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

tape

Oldschool RIAA

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:48 am

Possibly a somewhat stupid question:

When using an old magnetic cuttinghead, pre 1960, that go up to about 10,11KHZ how would the suitable RIAA curve look like?

Should it be different from a normal modern curve, or just cut off at 10KHZ?

In other words: any recommendiations on how to get the best amplitude / frequency response out of an old style head?

markrob

Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:05 pm

Hi,

I don't think running the curve out an extra octave to 20Khz or beyond will do any harm. The old moving iron heads are pretty rugged. If the head has usable response to 10Khz, you don't want to start rolling off the RIAA eq too close to that limit or you will compound the rolloff. If you cutting program material with really heavy sustained high end (e.g. synth based music), then you may want to watch things. In that case, I'd low pass the source material or use a multi-band limiter to tame the highs prior to cutting.

Mark

tape

Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:24 pm

aha.....I had the understanding that frequencies above the range would just take energy / volume from the other frequencies - eg. giving the head unnessesary much work.

My head (astatic) seems to work very well in the midrange, but is prone to distort with very low and frequencies. The alternative is cutting at a lower level which is undesireable.

I was thinking that is was possible to see an 'old' RIAA curve, pictured somewhere from the 'around 10KHZ maximum' era....

markrob

Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:54 pm

Hi,

The RIAA curve has never changed since its introduction. Prior to that time, there were several curves in use.

You are correct that some of the power to the head is possibly wasted since it won't respond much above 10Khz. I would follow the curve and limit your source material as needed if you find that you lose too much level passing full bandwidth to the head.

Mark

tape

Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:00 pm

thanks for the tips. I think that the idea of a '10KHZ' curve came to my mind because frequency curves from the 50'ties are often shown only up to 10KHZ, possibly because playback did no extend further.
I recall seing curves like for taperecorders as well.

audadvnc

Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:45 pm

Note that some heads have a resonance at high frequencies that influence their behavior. Our Westrex 3DII-a has two resonances in each channel; one resultant from the drive coil, about 13 KHz (IIRC?) and another about 11KHz(?) from the feedback coil.